Chimera and 12x12 Diffusion

CD-Tutorial-diffusionBig-insta.gif

Lighting Techniques: Chimera and 12×12 Diffusion

http://www.cinematographydb.com/2015/10/lighting-techniques-chimera-and-12x12-diffusion/

I'm posting a new Cinematography Design Tutorial every Friday. This week I show a technique for creating a large light source. I'm starting with really basic/fundamental techniques and the moving into full on lighting setups.

I'd love to get the feedback from the members of this forum. I've learned so much of what I know right here.

Cheers,

Matt

You could surely use any 2K light for this rather than just an Arri T2.

I mean you could surely use some kind of PAR or open face light for this as the fresnel lens seems a bit surplus to requirements.

This might mean you could get away with a lower powered light too. Maybe even an 800W Red Head.

Freya

You could surely use any 2K light for this rather than just an Arri T2.

I mean you could surely use some kind of PAR or open face light for this as the fresnel lens seems a bit surplus to requirements.

This might mean you could get away with a lower powered light too. Maybe even an 800W Red Head.

Freya

I agree, for the sake of being specific I chose a modern unit though. I'm not currently planning on modeling any of the old Ianiro lamp heads.

Here's your demonstration in real life. We created this tutorial a few weeks ago.

https://vimeo.com/139154021

Stuart

--------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

Very cool, I've seen your stuff online before. That is a great demo, nothing beat seeing it in real life! Do you follow Shane Hurlbut and Shane's Inner Circle? He has some great IRL demo tutorials.

The setups we'll be doing later on virtually would be very expensive to produce in real life. Are you going to be producing more in this series?

We produce videos as often as we have time and equipment to do so. We're planning on doing another video on camera car mounts next weekend. We have a backlog of topics, but Dominique is in film school and working full time at the shop, so there's only so much I can get him on camera. That, and when the equipment goes out on rental we're left empty handed. It can be really difficult to borrow demo equipment from vendors since we're not B&H or AbelCine.

I went to Shane's workshop last year since Video Gear was a local sponsor (it was great), but I guess I'm too cheap or lack the dedication to pay for his site. However, I do pay for a "friends of the ASC" account. It's completely worth it for the subscription to American Cinematographer. The breakfast talks are a bit of fun too. Holly, Delphine, and the crew do a really nice job putting on those events at the clubhouse.

Glad you enjoy the tutorials. We'll keep making them as long as resources permit.

Stuart

--------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com