GoPro Footage Choppy in FCPX Timeline

Steven P. Denny

I'm sorry if this topic has been addressed. I have used the forum search engine with all the keywords and have not found it.

My GoPro footage that I ingest to FCPX is fine and smooth in the event library. After I edit it into a project--and after it has fully rendered--it plays back choppy.

Any positive feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve

Have you tried transcoding it at all before editing? That seems like a strange issue, most modern editing systems should have no problem with mismatched framerates or codecs like that. I'd try converting it to Prores or Cineform before editing, see if that helps.

"It may be your GoPro frame rate differs from the frame rate of your timeline."

Thanks, Joel. What doesn't make sense is the raw clips imported to the event library playback smooth and clean. It's when I drag the clips into the timeline to edit they play back with a "stutter".

My system is a an iMac Retina 5K...3.5GHz Intel Core i5....32GB of RAM....1600MHz DDR3. More than enough to support this footage.

I'm clueless with Frame Blending or Optical Flow. As for transcoding the footage before editing, Will, I have no idea how that is done.

It seems you solved the issue, but GoPro had an app to transcode it to Cineform, I'd imagine you could change the framerate in that as well. You could've also used 5DtoRGB, which is free if you don't need batch transcodes and gives you ProRes, I don't recall if that does framerate changes. Also Adobe Media Encoder could've given you ProRes or DNxHD and changed framerate. Honestly I'm surprised FCPX doesn't handle a mixed timeline without putting a special effect on it.