Power Supply help needed

Owen Parker

Hi folks, need a bit of help replacing a lost power supply.

I have a Totalsystems DBM-3 digial peak meter and in a recent move the PSU was lost.

Totalsystems went out of business a few years ago and don't have a web presence so I was hoping that someone here might have one of these in their audio rack and could take a look at the PSU and pass on the spec.

The power connector is 10mm x 10mm (3/8") square with a 0V and 5V rails.

I've hopefully attached a photo of the connector.

I would bodge a connection to it but I don't want to risk damaging it as, now it's not working, I realised how much I used it!

Any help would be appreciated

post-69016-0-78002300-1445768885_thumb.jpeg

• Premium Member

That looks identical to the ATX12V connector used on computer motherboards, and is thus a Molex Mini-Fit Junior. This means that the ATX12V output of a PC power supply will fit, but you don't want to do that, as it's 12V, and that'll probably destroy your device. Because those connectors require expensive crimp tools to make off, you'll probably want to find an old PC power supply or adaptor cable and remake the other end.

This one is on the UK ebay, but they're pretty universal. I have some here you could have, but frankly, you may as well order one from an ebay seller and patch it up to a 5V PSU.

Edit - don't believe the black and yellow colouring on the computer power adaptor. It may not apply to the pinout used on your meter (although actually I believe it should, in theory, work as yellow for the 5V and black for ground). I'm not 100% sure, though. Trace it through visually.

P

Excellant, thanks Phil.

Had it pegged as a Molex but had forgotten they were common in PC's.

Providing a correctly polarised 5V isn't too difficult but it's the 0V rail that has me scratching my head.

That's a bit beyond my rudimentary electrical knowledge.

I will have to find an electrical engineers forum for that one.

Cheers

• Premium Member

I would suspect they're commoned, but I'm not sure. You could always meter them and see if they're connected together, although all four pins may appear to be connected together given the amount of power supply filtering that would be normal for something like this.

P