Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone's shot on the Cooke Crystal (Xtal) Express anamorphics before. Considering them for an upcoming job.

It's between them and the Cineovisions. I've used the Cineovisions before and had a great experience with them, but was thinking about trying these crystals out. Panavision has a few more focal lengths available as opposed to their cineovision package which is a plus because this is a multicam gig.

Thanks! Appreciate the help

-Ben J

• Premium Member

Both series are very old technology. I shot a picture with those Cookes back in the 1980s. We've come a long ways since then. Both series need a deep stop before they begin to have contrast, sharpness and overcome their depth of focus challenges. Not depth of field but depth of focus. Very different. They typically have a lot of stygmatism and chromatic abberation that could take away from the overall image quality. Panavision lenses may have similar afflictions but are overall better. I just finished with the Zeiss Master Anamorphics and was amazed at their performance. Good luck!

G