Creating a Camera Equipment List

Hi,

i have to create a equipment list for a camera package (arri sr2 super 16mm,zeiss super speed lenses, video assist...)

has anyone done such a list before or are there even basic layouts on the internet which i could use as guidlines ?

i basically have to write every part down so that it can eb ticked off when the cam goes out and comes back, to see if anything is missing.

thanks.

I usually specify everything exactly as possible. Just ordering a "fluid head" isn't good enough. That'll guarantee you get the worst fluid head ever made. It's a Murphy's Law thing I guess. Nobody can make your list for you. I advise you to do it and be very specific. I like to get exactly what I odered and all substitutions have to go through me. It's the only way to get it done right. Otherwise you wind up with stuff you didn't order that people assume is good enough, it never is.

Anyway once the package is ordered the rental house will have a list ready for you. I usually have the assistant make a couple of copies so we can check things periodically.

Edited by J. Lamar King

oh sorry if i expressed myself wrong, not a hiring list for me to hire out equipment, i mean a list that goes out with the camera package for the person who hires the cam to check if all the quipment is there. a inventory list.

Edited by Dmuench

That's what I was talking about. You make the list of equipment you need, the production company orders it. Then you send your assistant along with your list which he checks against the rental house list.

Maybe you're using the word Hire in a way I'm not familliar? I assume you're not talking about renting your own kit out to other people. Why then would you ask the question? Just make a list of the stuff you have.

Edited by J. Lamar King

yes thats it exactly, me hiring out a kit :) i was just wondering in how deep i should make the list ? obvioulsy i dont need to write down every screw on the tripod ? and just wanted to check if maybe someone has such a madeup list in excel or word that i could get as template ?

Personally I don't see it as a good idea to rent your camera out without yourself.

When I rent my camera out I always go with it as the AC.

But some people are more possesive then others. :rolleyes:

I recommend you make a basic list...of everything...

If you don't really trust them make more comprehensive list...

Or you can just ask them to supply insurance or a deposit--

Or better yet just don't rent it to them.

Don't worry about screws, they only cost $10--$20 bucks...

Worry about the things that cost hundreds and thousands of dollars

That what I'd put on the list...

You know the camera body, speed controllers, lenses, matte-box, filters, etc...

I'd also recommend you go over your camera with the AC

Just so he/she knows how the camera handles and stuff like that...

And make sure that he/she knows everything the camera comes with

And this will avoid less problems.

Remember trust your gut feelings

When you meet someone who seems careless be extra cautious.

And always protect yourself because if you don't you'll get screwed very easily.

I do most of my lists on Excel. I go to rental house sites and see how they do their lists and use their terminology. Using a spread sheet allows me to add prices and calculate easily. Also I can add or sort out equipment.

Funny when I ask for a print out of my packages from rental house they come in a weird order and usually overly detailed. E.g. sliding base plate with three lock down screws. They usually sort the list in order of pulling the item from shelves and not in a logical order.