Replacing illuminants with LEDs in Practicals

Are there any LED illuminants out there that combine high CRI (above 85) and 2700K/2800K color temperature? Ones that nearly can replace incandescent bulbs in terms of skin tone rendering?

I'm looking for E27 and E14 sockets particularly!

Thanks for your input

• Premium Member

These are promoted on that basis:

http://store.yujiintl.com/collections/high-cri-led-lights

I have not tested those devices in particular, but I have tested Yuji's other products and they do indeed have reasonable colour rendering. It's particularly telling that they mention R9-R14 values, which are the saturated colours (including the deep red necessary for good skin tones) which aren't included in traditional CRI calculations.

Also, Kino-Flo make compact fluorescents that are supposedly pretty good - I haven't measured them in particular - but they may not fit some practicals.

P

I've used said Kino CFLs before, I think they're pretty good...they can be dimmed down to around 30% with a variac before noticeable flicker starts, and work great with chinaballs...very bright too. Only thing is like with any kind of kino tube color temp can vary with the age of the fixture - I worked with them on a feature and we had two that didn't match, one had to be corrected at all times. But the good news is since they don't get that hot you can wrap the gel right over them and it won't melt.

These were Kinos 5500 CFLs however, I haven't used the tungsten model but had heard they are pretty equivalent to standard 3200 kino tubes.