2-perf Super8 Anamorphic

Lasse Roedtnes

A nice thing about such a setup (if I've got the theory right) is that it's the rate at which the film is transported which determines the definition of such. A high speed transport would yeild a higher definition image.

So one can design such a projector to any of the available film formats and it wouldn't really matter - one could get the same definition out of 8mm film as 16mm film, by simply running 8mm at 4X the speed of a 16mm version. Or not, if one so desires. The way in which the film was encoded would determine at what rate one otherwise ran a particular film.

Such a projector would also have far less noise to manage.

C

2 perf anamorphic with super 8 cartridge, how creative idea it is!

it will 1)have higher resolution(nearly cropped 9.5mm)

2)avoid Vignette because the edge on top and bottom will be cropped.

3)be compact, because it will still using the same super 8 cartridge.

However, the most difficult part of the project is not just to produce the camera it self,

but, a brand new system.

I suppose that if someone could really manage it in the correct way, the 2 per super8 and ferrania film can be the only motion picture format and brand in the future on the earth

Edited by ZHAOYANG CHANG

Please be advised that we are in no way. shape or form connected to Tyler Purcell and his camera project.

We wish him the best of luck however.

/Logmar

Yes, Logmar needs to wrest back control of this otherwise entertaining thread. :)

Agreed. Another thread should be started regarding 2-perf 35mm camera development. Horizontal loading Vistavision S8 is a fascinating proposal from a 50ft cartridge slot loading perspective. Would Logmar potentially design the new camera based on the current firmware board? Stepper motor? Any interoperability with the current Logmar S-8 camera regarding machining or parts? Or completely new from the ground up? C-Mount?

Hi Nicholas and Andries

We are currently busy on three other projects that we need to finalize first before we could jump on this but we just wanted to see if there was any real interest before wasting time making a MRD on it.

It doesn't seem to attract enough interest to be something that we would invest in however.

All the best

Lasse

Hi Lasse,

I suspect that soliciting just this forum is not necessarily indicative of a lack of interest. What other outreach methods have you attempted? Social media sites? Logmar user group on Facebook?

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas and Andries

We are currently busy on three other projects that we need to finalize first before we could jump on this but we just wanted to see if there was any real interest before wasting time making a MRD on it.

It doesn't seem to attract enough interest to be something that we would invest in however.

All the best
Lasse

The ciné world is much bigger than this forum. I know of one German language forum on small gauge which is as lively as any English language one I know. Then there is French, Spanish, Italian and what more.

I suppose a straight Double-8 camera with C-mount would be the simplest to design using your experience gained from the Logmar S-8.

Big reels would make it interesting for wedding filmers and such. 16mm stock is likely to remain the longest and can easily be converted to 8mm perf.

A switchable gate was a bit of joke and would complicate design significantly. Having a basic machine inproduction make it possible to design a wide version more doable when room is left in the basic design to recenter the c-mount and fix a wide gate. All easy said when not being put to the task :)

Good luck and I hope all is well with the Logmar S-8

Let's hope Ferrania makes to some sustainable production soon. 16mm and 8mm would be the simpelest to produce. No cartridge trouble! :)

Rgrds,

Andries

If the goal is to get a wide aspect ratio from a S8 film format, why do not develope this half frame project ?

http://www.google.com/patents/US3858969

Doubling the framerate should deliver the same time and resolution of classic S8 frame

Yes, that's another way of doing it. Of course, doubling the frame rate halves the amount of light available per frame. But that needn't be such a problem - just one stop. The resulting digital file you'd want to play at 48 fps or otherwise use some clever merging techniques that alleviate the double vision that would otherwise occur in a simple merge..

C

• 4 weeks later...

Sound striping is hard enough (but not impossible), but sound striping *and* Kodachrome.

That would be completely wishful thinking. But it's a good wish. Kodachrome was (is) awesome.

C

Now we're totally off the 2-perf S8 topic :D

But as 2016 dawns it's nice to dream a little.

I wonder if Kodak ever considers doing a sort of special edition Kodachrome run. For movie and still photography. And processing at Dwaynes, if they still have the machine. I'm sure many folks would pay the necessary high prices just for that great experience all over again.

Now we're totally off the 2-perf S8 topic :D

But as 2016 dawns it's nice to dream a little.

I wonder if Kodak ever considers doing a sort of special edition Kodachrome run. For movie and still photography. And processing at Dwaynes, if they still have the machine. I'm sure many folks would pay the necessary high prices just for that great experience all over again.

No.

There was years of lobbying by the great and the good when Kodak decided to axe it but there just wasn't the demand, Kodak was in trouble and they weren't going to carry on as a charity effort.

Five years on the constituent components are no longer made, the chemicals are no longer formulated by the various suppliers, the machinery (if it still exists) is no longer maintained and the analytical chemists who ran a very complex manufacturing and developing process have moved on or retired.

Kodachrome will not be back at any price.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Glenn Brady

When will you start releasing the Logmar Super 8 camera again? I really want tot buy one still! :(

This statement now appears at the Logmar website:

Fifty of these cameras were build [sic] in conjunction with the fifty year anniversary of Super-8 in one batch in late 2014.

Today the Logmar S-8 camera is a sought after collectors item as we no longer manufacture this camera.

You've still the option of buying the camera from Pro8mm for $5,995.00.

Pro8mm has 2 or 3 Logmar camera's left.

This statement now appears at the Logmar website:

Fifty of these cameras were build [sic] in conjunction with the fifty year anniversary of Super-8 in one batch in late 2014.

Today the Logmar S-8 camera is a sought after collectors item as we no longer manufacture this camera.

You've still the option of buying the camera from Pro8mm for $5,995.00.

Yeah i saw that and i cant believe it! This isn't what (from what i remember) part of their plan. Wasn't suppose to be that they would make these cameras based off their pre-order system??

At the time when they were accepting orders there was no way i could've afford one of these (and still cant) but i hoped it would've gotten cheaper as time went by. Now that im somewhat working and doing jobs here and there i was now initially planning to save up for one of these. Now is this not a possibility anymore???

Ahem......as you can see, im clearly upset about this :(

Yeah i saw that and i cant believe it! This isn't what (from what i remember) part of their plan. Wasn't suppose to be that they would make these cameras based off their pre-order system??

At the time when they were accepting orders there was no way i could've afford one of these (and still cant) but i hoped it would've gotten cheaper as time went by. Now that im somewhat working and doing jobs here and there i was now initially planning to save up for one of these. Now is this not a possibility anymore???

Ahem......as you can see, im clearly upset about this :(

Those words on the website are probably a little misleading. Had there been 50 more takers for the camera, I'm sure they would have made 50 more. I think 50 was the minimum they could make at the time. Since then I guess they've changed the narrative a little - as if it was only ever going to be 50 cameras. But I don't think that was the case at the time. It was just that there were no more takers.

If 50 more orders (or more) were placed tomorrow, they could conceivably change the narrative again. But maybe with the Kodak camera in the pipeline, and that being a more saleable camera, it might be that revisiting the Logmar is just too much hassle. And from what they are now saying, perhaps that's the decision they've made - that these cameras are now all there will be. A syncronicity of 50 cameras with the 50th anniversary of Super8 makes for a good way to round off the Logmar experiment. Nobody is to really blame for this. It's just market economics in which both producer and consumer are at the mercy of a bigger picture: just single players in a much larger network of players.

So perhaps now it really is a classic camera. This is quite good for those who now own them. A limited edition camera. Now collectable.

But hey - there's still a couple left at Pro8mm. So go grab one before anyone else does. Join the club. :)

C

Edited by Carl Looper