Short film (natural history)

I'm currently working on a short film which I will be submitting to the 2016 Fleurieu Film Festival in South Australia. The film will showcase the natural landscapes and wildlife of South Australia. There will be a mix of time lapse, regular motion video and underwater footage. It's being shot in HD with multiple cameras. There will be no narration - the images will be accompanied by music.

Anyone who lives in South Australia will know how incredibly hot it's been here lately. During the last days of my filming, I was hiking through some hills carrying my equipment under the midday sun. I was drenched in sweat by the time I reached my location and set up.

• Premium Member

Anyone who lives in South Australia will know how incredibly hot it's been here lately. During the last days of my filming, I was hiking through some hills carrying my equipment under the midday sun. I was drenched in sweat by the time I reached my location and set up.

Welcome to the wonderful world of holding true to your vision! :D

Seriously, good luck with your film and just make sure you keep yourself hydrated. If it's that bad, you'll be losing electrolytes quickly. So in case you need to do any re-shoots, take some Gatorade and water with you next time.

Your film sounds like it has the potential for some great imagery. Once it has shown in the festival circuit, be sure to post it here.

Have fun!

Oh yea I made sure that I brought along a bottle of water. And if the heat wasn't bad enough, the flys were driving me a bit crazy! They were buzzing around me while I was walking up there and also while I was setting up the shots.

I don't have access to my pc at the moment but soon I can post some stills and maybe a little clip excerpt. Yea I know that many people post their short films online but for me (after it finishes it's run at the festivals) I'd like to try and sell a few copies on DVD and Blu-Ray. The film's only 8 minutes long but I'll have over half an hour of bonus content on the discs - additional underwater footage, extended time lapse sequences etc.

• Premium Member

I don't have access to my pc at the moment but soon I can post some stills and maybe a little clip excerpt. Yea I know that many people post their short films online but for me (after it finishes it's run at the festivals) I'd like to try and sell a few copies on DVD and Blu-Ray. The film's only 8 minutes long but I'll have over half an hour of bonus content on the discs - additional underwater footage, extended time lapse sequences etc.

Sounds terrific! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

These are two frame grabs from the film.

24648744262_95cd9cc2fa.jpg

24138403244_210567324a.jpg

I mostly used still photography lenses for the shooting - a mix of modern AF lenses and old manual Canon FD lenses - fitted to Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera bodies. Also a modern but fully manual Samyang 12mm f2 which came in handy for the starry night imagery posted above.

I'm just starting to work on a trailer and I hope to have that up before too long.

Thanks for the good words!

It's about time I mentioned the name of the film - Island Odyssey. It was all shot on Kangaroo Island in South Australia.

I admit it seems odd making a trailer for an 8 minute film but those are the rules set by some of the festivals that I'll be submitting to. Basically they require a trailer, regardless of the length of the film.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great!

I would definitely say that was a good trailer (without knowing what material you are working with). The only thing I would do if I were you (and you may not care and I wouldn't blame you so please don't take this as a critique) is work on the way the font looks in the opening (over the black it looked good, but that looked like a different font anyway). It doesn't look as good as your images, but hey, maybe that is just my opinion.