Arri Amira vs Alexa

David Yao

Hello friends and fellow cinematographers,

Not sure if anyone have posted about this topic but here it goes... Other than being able to shoot RAW from the Alexa, practically and to-the-eyes and after all the proper post correction and all, is there a huge difference between raw from Alexa and the proress 4444 XQ from the Amira? I'm sure there is a difference, but is the difference too great or are most people just being an unconscious pixel-peepers? I feel much of the discussion have put too much attention and emphasize on this issues and on the argument of which is 'truely' cinematic or fitting for cinematic use and I just want to get a simple answer once and for all.

Thanks!

Dave

• Premium Member

Practically speaking, there isn't much difference IF you are talking about the higher 3.2K or UHD versions of ProRes in Log-C gamma compared to raw, which is either 2.88K or 3.4K (Open Gate) -- raw is uncompressed and doesn't bake-in color temp, ISO, or sharpening (there is a minimal amount of sharpening in the raw to ProRes conversion in camera.) So raw may be slightly more flexible in the grade, that's all.