We had some trouble like that with a squirrel, but at least he didn't rip the side off the house to get at the juicy pink folks inside. We have a sexually-frustrated goldcrest that taps on the window because there are some shiny bottle caps on the other side though.

We had some trouble like that with a squirrel, but at least he didn't rip the side off the house to get at the juicy pink folks inside. We have a sexually-frustrated goldcrest that taps on the window because there are some shiny bottle caps on the other side though.

Don't worry, there is a movement afoot to reintroduce bears, lynx, and wolves to England... these having been hunted to extinction in ancient times...

How about a spot of tea?

baer%20in%20house-DFG.png

Edited by John E Clark

• Premium Member

The worst case would be show up at LAX (or in the olden days Union Station...) with naught but a pocket of dreams...

If that is the case... have enough money in that pocket of dreams to live in LA for 2-3 years, while those contacts mentioned above are made.

Lottery winners happen all the time... so who knows... one's first 'smooze' party attendance could pay off with a good gig...

All of that is accurate and it's what happens to the vast majority of people who are outgoing and talented enough. I always suggest people already book the P.A. gig before they even land. Even if you have to live in an extended stay facility for the first week whilst you're working as a P.A., so be it. First week on set, you will find a place to live with someone else on set doing the same thing you are. Couch crashing after a 16hr day on set, is VERY typical. You don't even really need a vehicle at first because Uber is inexpensive and runs 24/7. Treat the first few months in L.A. as a vacation from reality, don't settle in, don't spend money on poop, just survive as long as you can. If something positive happens, like booking a long-term gig that pays well and/or finding a decent place to live for cheap, then extend your stay. You will make connections very fast and if someone likes you, they may take you under their wing.

What also happens is that people MOVE here. They bring all their poop, they pay gobs of money to live somewhere nice and they simply run out of money. I ran out of money two times living here, way at the beginning, first two years sorta deal. That's because I wasn't smart, didn't have enough saved money, MOVED here instead of testing the waters first. However, the reason I moved is because I didn't want the option of going home. I wanted to stick it out for better or worse because that's how you become a better person, that's how you learn.

All of that is accurate and it's what happens to the vast majority of people who are outgoing and talented enough. I always suggest people already book the P.A. gig before they even land. Even if you have to live in an extended stay facility for the first week whilst you're working as a P.A., so be it. First week on set, you will find a place to live with someone else on set doing the same thing you are. Couch crashing after a 16hr day on set, is VERY typical. You don't even really need a vehicle at first because Uber is inexpensive and runs 24/7. Treat the first few months in L.A. as a vacation from reality, don't settle in, don't spend money on poop, just survive as long as you can. If something positive happens, like booking a long-term gig that pays well and/or finding a decent place to live for cheap, then extend your stay. You will make connections very fast and if someone likes you, they may take you under their wing.

What also happens is that people MOVE here. They bring all their poop, they pay gobs of money to live somewhere nice and they simply run out of money. I ran out of money two times living here, way at the beginning, first two years sorta deal. That's because I wasn't smart, didn't have enough saved money, MOVED here instead of testing the waters first. However, the reason I moved is because I didn't want the option of going home. I wanted to stick it out for better or worse because that's how you become a better person, that's how you learn.

Wow! Sounds awesome!!!

R,

Extended stay facility=Y.M.C.A.? or flophouse?

http://www.valueplace.com/ = Extended Stay.

Personally, I would steer clear of these. I stayed in a Valueplace once for several weeks while in Florida. Let me say, it's not that great really. Unless you're looking for hookers and/or drugs.

I cannot imagine what one would run into a city the size of LA...

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Extended stay facility=Y.M.C.A.? or flophouse?

Ohh no, no... extended stay are the same thing as hotels, only they have full kitchens. They're expensive, but if you're only doing a week, it's not too bad. Most places work deals for industry people who are coming to town for a job.

YMCA is more like a youth hostel and no, you wouldn't want to do that.

Here in California, there are a bunch of short-term rental opportunities as people leave town all the time and want to get money for their home. A lot of my friends who did the P.A. program, wound up sleeping on couches after their first week, it saves quite a bit of money.

http://www.valueplace.com/ = Extended Stay.

Personally, I would steer clear of these. I stayed in a Valueplace once for several weeks while in Florida. Let me say, it's not that great really. Unless you're looking for hookers and/or drugs.

I cannot imagine what one would run into a city the size of LA...

It is my belief that one of the reasons why we don't have great 'noir' or similar is because many creative people, or would be creatives, avoid such places... their resulting work has no sense of grime that doesn't wash off, because the shower/tub in the communal bathroom doesn't work... and even if it did... it would be an opportunity for an assault of some sort or another...

With inner city gentrification... 'noir' is disappearing... mind numbing suburbia doesn't quite have the same feel... in grit or hopelessness... unless of course one is shooting in Xenia Ohio...

28-junkie-movies-para-ver-e-se-entorpece

It is my belief that one of the reasons why we don't have great 'noir' or similar is because many creative people, or would be creatives, avoid such places... their resulting work has no sense of grime that doesn't wash off, because the shower/tub in the communal bathroom doesn't work... and even if it did... it would be an opportunity for an assault of some sort or another...

With inner city gentrification... 'noir' is disappearing... mind numbing suburbia doesn't quite have the same feel... in grit or hopelessness... unless of course one is shooting in Xenia Ohio...

28-junkie-movies-para-ver-e-se-entorpece

If my hotel room looks like that - I'm getting a refund. And the health department involved.

Film industry prospects must be very encouraging for a young would be filmmaker. Spend fours years in university, and 60-90K, so you can be a PA sleeping on someone's couch in LA.

R,

Film industry prospects must be very encouraging for a young would be filmmaker. Spend fours years in university, and 60-90K, so you can be a PA sleeping on someone's couch in LA.

R,

I find the film industry odd in this respect... What other industry would anyone deem this as a valid way to 'get into the business' so to speak...

I still say there has to be a better way than working 16 hours days, sleeping on someones couch, and pocketing $100 a day after taxes, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Not saying I have the answer... But gee... Why would anyone WANT to get into such an industry even?

• Premium Member

Well, many of the top filmmakers have slept on people's couches and worked for peanuts before moving up the ladder. You can argue all you want, but unless you're rich (or have rich friends) and have immense skill, it's nearly impossible to be successful without working up the ladder. The vast majority of talent in this industry comes from bottom feeders working their way up through the ranks.

As I said many times in this thread, you can do anything you want. Lightening strikes randomly and some people have very good luck. But you can't base a career off luck. Thats how you fail unfortunately.

I find the film industry odd in this respect... What other industry would anyone deem this as a valid way to 'get into the business' so to speak...

I still say there has to be a better way than working 16 hours days, sleeping on someones couch, and pocketing $100 a day after taxes, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Not saying I have the answer... But gee... Why would anyone WANT to get into such an industry even?

As far as I can tell, any 'art' directed study program will essentially end one up in the same place.

I entered college as an art major, with photography my medium. In So. Cal, there are a couple of 'named' schools, such as Brooks in Santa Barbara or the Art Center in Pasadena. But I could neither afford the tuition, nor living accommodations. So I settled for San Diego State College (upgraded to University in the early 70s...).

I unfortunately didn't notice that 'photography' as an art medium and attendant classes were completely lacking from the SDSU art dept.... and photography was placed in the "Industrial Art"... aka for those intending to eventually become 'highschool shop class teachers'...

Eventually I came out with a salable trade of computer programming by way of the Math dept.

So my advice to the young person is come out of whatever 'college' with a salable trade... and anything in art is not in such a class... unless of course one wants to end up teaching Kindergarten thru 12th grade or perhaps Junior College if one gets an MA in Fine Arts or the like (MA being a general requirement for teaching at a junior college in many places...).

Many of my peers who stayed in the Art dept. ended up in 'social services' where at the time an BA/MA in almost anything qualified for application for the job... In the early 80s there were many psych/social science majors who jumped ship for programming as well...

Some might disagree with me, but I say anyone thinking of entering any art medium should have a valid backup plan in the case of failure. Getting a degree in something outside of art is probably the best thing you can do. While 'working' in the industry for $100-$150 a day is okay when you're young, at some point you're going to need a job that pays you enough to raise a family. The reality is, that may very well not be the film industry. There are more jobs paying $150 a day than there are paying a living wage, much like other industries.

Not meaning to be negative, but it's the truth.

The only job I have ever held in film is "director." The only job I held in TV was, "producer."

But hey, that's just me. :D

R,

• Premium Member

My BS in Anthropology sure isn't doing me too much good on the whole-- but then again neither is my BA in Film. 'Course at the end of the day the nice thing about film is that you needn't actually GO to college to get a job therein. In fact it often substantially smarter just to say screw it and take out a student loan, but a set of Cooke S4s, drop out, and say you're a DoP. Seems to work for a great deal of the huddled masses yearning to shoot free.

I say if you do go to college, forget sales, learn what you want to learn, it's the only time in your life, really, that you can do whatever you want and look into those things you want to look into. Granted, you may not come out owning a BMW, but who cares in the end.

Some might disagree with me, but I say anyone thinking of entering any art medium should have a valid backup plan in the case of failure.

I wouldn't disagree. I'd go a step further and suggest you need a backup plan in case of success. Because even a hit film doesn't guarantee a long and profitable career. You are always proving yourself and "pitching" Which is why being in L.A. or NYC or any large city is kinda critical. At least in the beginning.

My BS in Anthropology sure isn't doing me too much good on the whole-- but then again neither is my BA in Film. 'Course at the end of the day the nice thing about film is that you needn't actually GO to college to get a job therein. In fact it often substantially smarter just to say screw it and take out a student loan, but a set of Cooke S4s, drop out, and say you're a DoP. Seems to work for a great deal of the huddled masses yearning to shoot free.

I say if you do go to college, forget sales, learn what you want to learn, it's the only time in your life, really, that you can do whatever you want and look into those things you want to look into. Granted, you may not come out owning a BMW, but who cares in the end.

Well, a degree in Anthropology is probably as worthless a film degree. A usable degree is a degree in an expanding field like education, science, and business. Film school is probably the biggest waste of money one can spend - considering it can cost over $50,000 to attend, and no job in the industry actually 'requires' it, or even gives it much consideration. And no one outside of the film industry is impressed with a film degree. Heck, most people in the film industry aren't impressed by one either...

As for going to college and learning what you want - this is a big mistake. It's nice to take enlightening classes, but you need to invest in a backup plan degree that can actually land you a job if your film prospects don't work out. As Michael said above, even if you are successful in the short term that is no promise you'll remain so.

• Premium Member

I dunno if i'd call it a waste of money-- I don't think any education is a waste... just not the best thing to get into film with because, you're right, no one cares.

Though also you need to be smart enough to know how much school will cost. Thankfully my 5 yrs in college cost only about 32K.

And hmm, Satsuki; that's a good idea ;) (actually thinking of working on a 2nd book soon, mixed media photos/words-- we'll see)

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

If i was gonna go that far I'd work on some kinda 3D projection system with Kinects and motion tracking and the like and figure otu a way to make it interactive; but let's be honest, even moving images are perhaps beyond me at present (and also wouldn't work as well for this idea I have anyway). If i ever do it, though, Gregg, I'll give you 5% ;)

• Premium Member

I think as a backup plan, trade certifications are far more valuable over the long term then college will ever be. This would be something like a class A license, Microsoft/apple certification, learning a programming language, etc. I have three degree's in "artistic" fields and sure, they helped me get 9-5 jobs, but those degree's have never helped secure me a position on a film set.

If you're interested in something, you should pursue it full force. If someone wants to be a cinematographer when they "grow up", they should probably attend a film school of some sort so they can experiment in the safety of peers with similar skills. I can't imagine going to college today though, it's so expensive, kids will be burdened with debt before they can even get into the job force. If I had to do it all over again, I would have been more focused on my trades and lived with an associates degree instead of going all the way. My degree from Emerson hasn't helped my career one bit.

The problem is however, if you focus on your backup too much, it's nearly impossible to put the time and energy into your MAIN interest. It's hard to take time off from a good 9-5 in order to make a feature film. So it's great that you're making money, but you're just static until you have enough street cred and references, to make that leap and become freelancer full-time. Took me 14 years of being here to do it and I'm still only doing smaller jobs.

• Premium Member

I've read numerous posts on this site whether real life experience or trade certificates and the like are more valuable than college. In the end, I don't really know what the correct answer is. It's up to the individual I guess. What I do know is what worked for me.

Many years ago, 42 years to be exact, I announced to my businessman father that I wanted to go into the movie industry as a cameraman. He thought that his 13 year old's passion would eventually pass and when it didn't, he gave me a non-negotiable proposition and I couldn't have imagined how great his advice would be today. The plan was always for me to go to college but the only way I could go to film school was if I also earned a business degree as well. I didn't understand it back then but when I entered college as a 17 year old declaring my major in Cinema, I also declared a major in business. It was tough and I had no time for myself. But in 4 years, I had earned a double major in both schools at California State University, Long Beach. I went on to earn additional business credentials at USC.

Why was this great advice? Simple. We all work in the film INDUSTRY. We call it show BUSINESS. We are working in a freelance trade where we are the owner and CEO of our own careers. My future depended on how well I managed the business end of being a first assistant cameraman and how well I could make a living. 36 years later as a professional, I can say I learned my father's lessons well. Not only have I enjoyed my "summer job" and traveled the world for work over 3 decades but I make a very comfortable living in the high six figures annually. I also built a successful camera rental business out of nothing over 27 years ago. All of the major Hollywood studios and other large camera rental houses are my clients. CONCLUSION: College was the perfect solution for giving me the knowledge, a path and a fair shot at success in the motion picture industry.

I can't say that this would work for everyone but I do believe that a college education whether it's in film or in my case, business cannot hurt. It could only help to get you thinking in the correct way to achieve success. Cheers!

G

• Upvote 2