How do you feel about the look of this film?

Harry Weaks

I think it was shot poorly. The parts where the girl --main subject-- is posting up fliers has awkward shots being used --in my opinion-- and the shaky shots where she's featured --even if they're meant to be that way while shes riding a bike or whatever-- are visually annoying. Carolers are shown singing during another part of the film, and the framing of them and camera panning is poorly done in my opinion. What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Dislike it? Like it? If you dislike the filming of it, why do you? If not, why not? See something else wrong with it? Nothing wrong with it? How would you have filmed it differently if you were hired to film it? Anything? Nothing?

Here's the film referenced:

• Premium Member

Framing, which includes camera movements, seems insecure to me, at times I have the impression that the aspect ratio was not clear as if the operator would confuse viewfinder marks. Heads and caps cut off. Wrong Vimeo setting?

I should have chosen 3:4, a much more rigid setup throughout, shorter focal lengths, and a looser editing style.

The girl can’t write by hand. An array of electronic equipment is used for a simple announcement. I’d do that differently. Maybe it’s the same uneasiness that you are being in with the making of this video. The core of the plot is a conversation at the door. That’s where the producer would have had to make a change.

• Premium Member

I think it was shot poorly. The parts where the girl --main subject-- is posting up fliers has awkward shots being used --in my opinion-- and the shaky shots where she's featured --even if they're meant to be that way while shes riding a bike or whatever-- are visually annoying. Carolers are shown singing during another part of the film, and the framing of them and camera panning is poorly done in my opinion. What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Dislike it? Like it? If you dislike the filming of it, why do you? If not, why not? See something else wrong with it? Nothing wrong with it? How would you have filmed it differently if you were hired to film it? Anything? Nothing?

I really liked it. It was straight-forward and a very sweet story. Nothing was overdone, which is rarely seen in short films. I thought the production values were very good, considering they were obviously working on a low-budget.

The hand-held work didn't bother me at all. Visually, everything felt like it fit with the story and that's what cinematography is all about.

• Premium Member

I didn't see any problems, outside of some minor color balance. No head cut off's nothing of the sort.

I thought the hit and run was simple and worked. I thought the printing of the "lost and found" papers was cute and worked (how do you hand write 30 papers with a picture on them). I thought the directors focus on the papers and not the girl as she posts them, worked. I thought the caroler scene worked as well. It was cute, though I expected a bigger pay off in the end, not just "aww isn't that cute".

I wouldn't have done much differently, only minor things that would have tightened things up slightly.