Trouble with Canon 1014 XLS

Evan Samaras

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon 1014 xls, and have run into a concern:

I have narrowed down the problem to where I believe it is at the claw.

I was shooting a cartridge and then at about 40' it told me END.

I tried new batteries but this didn't solve the issue. I carefully had the claw pulled down, and when I run it, it will then shoot up, come down and then stop, again END. Sometimes after doing this the camera will run for a little before sticking at end. Exposure is working, and the shutter even opens and closes when it is running well.

I am hoping a simple cleaning and lubrication will do the job.

However, this is probably a complicated job (correct me if I am wrong). I have done some work on older photographic cameras, so it may or may not be out of my league.

All suggestions welcomed. If someone knows of any camera repairmen close to NY I would appreciate the referral. Thank you!

These tests are with the cartridge in the camera? And of course it is not at the end :)

Test the cartridge for smooth transport. I.e. is the unexposed-stock is allowed out freely.

Put your thumb/finger on the film in the gate and see if you can slide-transport it down

without much force. If it comes out smooth then there is nothing wrong.

Hi Andries,

The tests i performed were with the film cartridge removed, I was able to finish the cartridge in another camera. I tested the claw carefully and It appears to be much more difficult pulling the claw up then it does going down. This is where i drew my assumption that the claw area may need a cleaning.

• Premium Member

Did you process the roll of film you shot? Did it come out OK?

The cameras don't know how much film is left really. They have a mechanical timer that resets when you put a new cartridge in it. However, I just shot some Super 8 few weeks ago and the cartridge had WAY more film in it then the counter thought it did, like 10 feet or so. My camera said "end" but it was still shooting film. I pulled the cartridge out, put it back in again and kept shooting for quite a while before it was officially out. I know my camera works as well, so maybe the gauge on your camera isn't working well and it's figuring the film is out before it actually is.

Hi Tyler,

Yes, I processed the roll and it came out fine. I have a feeling the part moving the claw needs lubrication. When I play with it a little it sometimes starts back up again and runs. I tested all of this without a cartridge in, as I received the END marker even without the cartridge in.

The issue with Super8 cameras is.... There is no one out there who can fix or service them.

There are people that can fixs cameras here in Europe , Only thing is some parts are hard to find . Or need to come from dead make of the same camera for parts . That why you need to find out if there have the parts to be able to fix it before hand .

If you think some of these camera are 50 years old and still working , That s design / or so the repair man is geting older .

• Premium Member

Yes, I processed the roll and it came out fine. I have a feeling the part moving the claw needs lubrication. When I play with it a little it sometimes starts back up again and runs. I tested all of this without a cartridge in, as I received the END marker even without the cartridge in.

My cameras always say "END" with no cartridge. There is a button that the cartridge hits, which resets the counter system. Without a magazine, the counter doesn't work, so it says end.

If the film came out fine, there is nothing wrong with the camera. If the pull down claw wasn't working properly or skipping, you would see that in the image. Super 8 uses the pull down claw to advance the film. So if the claw was skipping, the film wouldn't advance fast enough and you'd get over-exposure blooms every few frames.

You can't tell if it's working properly by looking at it running, that's impossible. I'm sure the camera DOES need lubrication, but I've tried to work on many Super 8 cameras over the years... I'm a pretty good bench technician and have no problems fixing my 16/35 and digital cameras, but the Super 8's are so compact, they're very fragile to work on. They don't come apart easily and dropping oil near the claw, doesn't do anything. The pull down mechanism is lower in the camera and it's probably caked with grime as the grease they use from the factory goes bad over time. I had to completely re-build my recent Aaton LTR acquisition because the grease went bad.

There are MANY super 8 speciality shops around the world. If you google Super 8 service, you will find many. Pro 8 here in Burbank, CA is a very good shop and they know the Canon cameras really well.

Pro8mm In CA, will repair it.

http://www.pro8mm.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=REPAIR&Category_Code=cammod

In New York contact Bernie at Super 16 inc.

http://www.super16inc.com

There is a guy in New York, NY Abby something but I'd go to Bernie first.

Thank you for your help and suggestions everyone.

I put in a new cartridge however encountered the same problem.

I contacted Du-all in NYC and they quoted me $300-$350 for a CLA, if that's all that it needs.

I have also reached out to Bernie at Super 16 (Thank you J.W) but have yet to hear back from him.

I will keep the post updated when I hear something back in case it is useful to someone in the futre