Kodak announces new Super 8 camera at CES

Tyler Purcell

Ugh, don't get me started on 100D. Negative stocks are great but 100D looked fantastic. That color pallet was perfect.

But yes as others have said depending on where they go a 500-750 dollar price target is not unreasonable for a company that can partner with Asian factories. The screen doesn't exactly have to be a Retina display, the expense will probably come from all the moving parts. It's not going to tempt me away from my Max 8 4008 though. I love that camera!

A $499 sales price isn't a difficult target to hit for production line manufacturing, even in high cost markets like the US, Germany or Japan. Heck, some children's toys are more complicated than a super 8 camera.

Super exciting. Kodak has needed to do this for a long, long time. Although I supposed the Kodachrome court case (bundling film with prepaid mailers) from the 50s probably gave them pause.

Even without the camera the new style of processing service is an example how things should work.

People send in their film and all in one tariff they can expect their film soon and a digital copy most likely will be made available through an online downloadservice. I.e it will be available the day it was developed and/or scanned, saving a week or more of waiting.

A way of working current labs should/could have adopted years ago. But these thought everything was just nice like it is and just let the customer suffer the shipping time-delay of shipping it to the lab and then to the scanservice.

Now see when Kodak actually starts processing...

Well of course one thing we have to come to expect is that we're not going to get the nice, big files that we get from current labs. No way Kodak can offer ProRes HQ. It'll be a compressed something file which will not be as malleable in editing. But yeah, film photo labs like The FIND Lab, Indie Film Lab and RPL offer digital downloads and it's awesome. The files are jpgs though so it's just a trade off that you have to deal with. I always like to overscan my Super 8 and I know I'm going to have to say goodbye to that, but I can't say no to the price. The scan just needs to look great though, and really resolve the grain. I hate mushy Super 8 scans that just look like poop video.

• Premium Member

Well of course one thing we have to come to expect is that we're not going to get the nice, big files that we get from current labs. No way Kodak can offer ProRes HQ. It'll be a compressed something file which will not be as malleable in editing.

Not necessarily. I can easily see them offering hi-res scans for an extra charge. And most people would pay for it since this service is all about convenience.

I think this is just awsome! and a at $500-700 price range I'm onboard. Way to start 2016!!!!! I really hope they offer a color reversal again. The 100D stock was beautiful. The AGFA stock is a great option, I've captured some decent color at sunset but overall its very grainy in super8. Sign me up take my money!!!!!

50ft carts are soooo limited. The first and last ten or so seconds are always a mess so you basically have two minutes. And it's tough to do anything with sync sound that way. One take and your done. So I hope and pray they do 100 footers. If they do I am in. Guaranteed.

The other issue is for sound you need a quiet camera. The Logmar is LOUD. As loud as my Nikon R10, if not louder. The Canon 1014 XLS is certainly quieter. The camera needs some really good sound suppression.

Perhaps they sell a $999 model that is properly blimped and takes 100 foot carts. Pros would eat it up.

No matter what this step takes balls. Kodak is trying to stay alive and no doubt they can develop a nice niche market with this. If the product is well made maybe even more.

I absolutely love Super8 and shot a big-ass production with it in September. I am editing now and will end up with a 20 minute proof-of-concept (we hope to make a feature version). I created a 5 minute version for Kodak's audienceawards contest (which i knew was rigged, but it was an experiment I was glad to engage in). If you want to see how 8mm can be used in a modern production, here ya go:

http://theaudienceawards.com/films/revelations52236

Their servers are sh!t so if that won't load use the password vimeo on vimeo: ;)

https://vimeo.com/149476818

Scanned at Cinelab in 2K. I had ever even attempted grading before so imagine what the 8mm footage will look like once someone who knows what they are doing gets his or her mitts on it!

It is an unlikely to be true assumption that KODAK will not scan HD properly. There is hardly SD equipment left. Why would they seek to use outdated machines?

100 ft in the room of a 50ft is only possible using very thin film. Which likely doesn't help image quality much.

Since the new camera has a built in microphone it will be designed such that it is very well usable.

Almost funny how end-users without any skills in engineering and design think and write as if they know better than

a design team of a company which is risking millions in this project.

Matt, 100' was never offered.

There was a 200' sound cartridge which a few cameras could take. Basically they had a hole cut in the top with a hinged flap over it. It was never a big seller and it's vanishingly unlikely that they will resurrect it. Anyway the prototype has a handle where the flap would go and it will only take a silent cartridge- the sound cartridges are deeper.

Matt, 100' was never offered.

There was a 200' sound cartridge which a few cameras could take. Basically they had a hole cut in the top with a hinged flap over it. It was never a big seller and it's vanishingly unlikely that they will resurrect it. Anyway the prototype has a handle where the flap would go and it will only take a silent cartridge- the sound cartridges are deeper.

Yeah, I was also looking at the picture and thinking that handle is in the way.

I think it would be cool if they did resurrect it but I admit it does seem unlikely but then again the whole thing seems unlikely!

I would prefer if they kept to the 200ft standard as it's already around but you are right that as it was a sound standard it might be a bit unwieldy. Having the few older cameras that work to the standard would help in terms of having a larger user base however.

At one point, long ago, someone even came up with a 400ft reloadable cart for the older standard.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

I was looking at the Kodak site about the new camera and found out that they are selling stock via the site again. Thank you Kodak!! I have never stopped shooting film. Now it seems as if it is going to be even easier to do so. I am going to buy on for my nephew.

• Premium Member

I was looking at the Kodak site about the new camera and found out that they are selling stock via the site again. Thank you Kodak!! I have never stopped shooting film.

Had a feeling they'd do that as a precursor to the sale of the camera. The camera will most likely only be available through Kodak, too.

Bloomberg reporter hints at 4K scan as part of the new Kodak one-stop-shop channel relative to the new Kodak/Logmar Super 8 camera. Calls this the flagship ($1000 US) with more models planned. I suspect that Logmar actual built the prototypes for CES2016. Which will eventually be farmed out overseas for mass production, i.e.

The specs are out: http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/consumer/Product/Product_Specs/?contentId=4294993082&TaxId=4294969683

Technical Specifications

FILM GAUGE
SUPER 8 ( EXTENDED MAX-8 GATE )

FILM LOAD
KODAK CARTRIDGES WITH 50 FT (15 M)

SPEED
VARIABLE SPEEDS (9, 12, 18, 24, 25 FPS) ALL WITH CRYSTAL SYNC

LENS MOUNT
C-MOUNT

FOCAL LENGTH
FIXED / 6 MM, 1:1.2 – RICOH LENS (OPTIONAL ZOOM 8-48 MM LENS )

FOCUS / APERTURE
MANUAL FOCUS & IRIS

VIEWFINDER
3.5" DISPLAY THAT HAS A STANDARD DEFINITION VIDEO INPUT AND SUPPORTS SWIVEL +/- 45 DEGREES

EXPOSURE
EXPOSURE CONTROL
BUILT-IN LIGHT METER FOR SUPPORTED SPEEDS OF ALL KODAK FILM TYPES
MANUAL SPEED / MANUAL IRIS SETTING
POWER SUPPLY
BATTERY & CHARGER
INTEGRATED BATTERY AND CHARGER VIA STANDARD USB WALL ADAPTER

CONTROL PANEL
VIA VIEWFINDER 3,5" TFT LCD

SETTINGS
VIA JOG WHEEL AS USER INTERFACE

• Premium Member

I wonder if Kodak made a deal with Pro8 to handle the lab and post work? I doubt that they will be setting up a lab and scan facility and Pro8 had/has an exclusive on the Logmar in the US.

Kodak is opening a lab in NYC very soon. I assume they'll be doing all the processing and transfers themselves. I don't think Logmar and Pro8 has much to do with this new endeavor. It seems to be a direct with Kodak venture, which is great actually. It leaves the remaining labs to focus on more commercial ventures 16/35.

Robert... I was going to ask you... If someone wanted to shoot 70mm and use you guys as a processing facility, what's the ramp up cost for you to convert?

Are these things confirmed or just rumors? Seems beyond my wildest dreams honestly! 4k potential, max 8, NYC lab! Insane. I am looking forward to shooting SOOO much more super 8. The cherry on this Sundae of Glory would be if they'll overscan for me and show the film edge. :wub:

• Premium Member

This is all 100% happening. Looks like there will be 2 cameras though. One for around $499 and one around $999, it's unclear what features will be removed for the $499 camera at this time. However, everything else looks to be spot on accurate.