• Premium Member

Hello,

Agents usually take 10% of your earnings when you get a job through them.

Some of them will make deals for you with the production companies regarding your equipment if you have any, some others will let you make that deal by yourself.

Make sure that you read all the documents and take some time to think about if you need that agent or not before signing anything.

If you are not happy with the terms and conditions that that particular agent has to offer, shop around!

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

It's sad that the forum doesn't allow me to display answers that are more than a year old. Why is that? In any case, I had a good breakdown of what you need to expect and what an agent can't and can do for you. I don't want to retype the whole thing again, so I'll just skim briefly the main point.

An agent doesn't get you work. At least not until you're already so established and have a name, that you don't need an agent in the first place. This is very important to remember, because when you're new and you sign up with someone, doesn't mean you can sit back and relax and wait for the jobs to drop in. Not going to happen. What an agent can do, is validate you and elevate you to the level of "well, he must be good enough to have an agent at least", which can get you're work seen by more people and put you in a context. Which might result in work down the line. It's like a degree. Doesn't get you the job, but at least they'll take you somewhat seriously.

That has to be balanced by them taking 10% not only of the jobs they bring you, but all your jobs. And in the beginning, they'll all be your jobs and your contacts. That said, if you're a nice guy and bad at negotiation, it is my experience that agents earn their own commission back by being better negotiators. They can be bad cop and money talking with the producer, whereas you're just the creative spirit that's removed from all that. In that sense, they almost always make financial sense.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

It's sad that the forum doesn't allow me to display answers that are more than a year old. Why is that?

Been wondering that myself for a while. You can go pretty far back in a search, but not with your "active posts."

Tim?...

• Premium Member

An agent doesn't get you work[/b]. At least not until you're already so established and have a name, that you don't need an agent in the first place. This is very important to remember, because when you're new and you sign up with someone, doesn't mean you can sit back and relax and wait for the jobs to drop in. Not going to happen. What an agent can do, is validate you and elevate you to the level of "well, he must be good enough to have an agent at least", which can get you're work seen by more people and put you in a context. Which might result in work down the line. It's like a degree. Doesn't get you the job, but at least they'll take you somewhat seriously.

That has to be balanced by them taking 10% not only of the jobs they bring you, but all your jobs. And in the beginning, they'll all be your jobs and your contacts. That said, if you're a nice guy and bad at negotiation, it is my experience that agents earn their own commission back by being better negotiators. They can be bad cop and money talking with the producer, whereas you're just the creative spirit that's removed from all that. In that sense, they almost always make financial sense.

Good luck.

That is very true.

Good thing about having an agent is that they negotiate very well and usually they get things for you that you wouldn't have been able to get without starting a bad relationship with the producer.

I think that just because of that having an agent is worth the money.

On the other hand sometimes agents put a lot of pressure on producers and you can lose a job because of them if you don't take everything into consideration.

By the way! How's Wizzo if you don't mind me asking? ?

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

Miguel - that's true. They're almost always worth it from a negotiation standpoint. And yes, sometimes they squeeze the producers too hard and leave a bad taste. I had that problem with an old agent in Sweden some years ago. Clients were always complaining she was too hard on them and aggressive, so I had to switch. But the good agents are very good at getting what what they need, but still making everyone happy. It's a skill. I couldn't do it. I'm rubbish at negotiation. I'd starve to death if I negotiated my own fee.

No longer with Wizzo, although they're lovely people and I do recommend them. Signed with a French agency called Cosmic for all of Europe. I got sick of the UK rates.. :)

• Premium Member

Thanks for the recommendation!

I took a look at Cosmic's website and they seem to be interested in the art side too which is very good!

I'm currently deciding between Dinedor and Casarotto but Cosmic seems super! and if they negotiate better.. That's great ha!

Thanks again!!!