Second short film - experimental - philosophical

Raymond Popa

Hello,

This is my first post. I just finished my second short film. My first short has gained some attention because of the cinematography so I decided to let the director's chair for someone else and concentrate to work as a DoP.

Please, tell me how it feels to you. It's a zero budget short. And please excuse my English...it's not my native.

thank you!

• Premium Member

The entire film seemed to have dropped-frames throughout, but otherwise...

...Very nice work! Considering you had no budget, it looked like you used mostly natural light. At times it was of course a bit flat, but you seemed to make the best of the conditions. I liked glare and hot spots when the girl dropped her phone. I also liked your smooth camera movements (Glidecam?), especially when the old man walks down the stairs and at the end when the boy is playing in the park & looks up at the sky. Nice composition, too. I liked the way you balanced the graphic weight within each frame.

For the close-up of the old man laying on the floor, did you use any artificial light? That was my favorite shot in the film because you shaped the light so that the audience can see when he stops breathing. Very effective.

Hello!

Thank you for your fast replay.

I used artificial light with blue gel only in the scene where is supposed to be morning.

For the smooth images I used a 3axis gimbal from Came.

All footage was shot on an Panasonic Lumix LX100.

The last scene was shot on artificial light with natural light. When he give his last breath we just switched off the light that was lighting through the window.

Have a nice day!