Lighting for GoPro

SimonLL

Hi,

I'm working on an immersive, educational Ipad app for kids that involves mostly POV footage. The director has been working on this app for a while and all testing was done prior to me being hired for this project, so it is pretty much decided that we are shooting with a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I do not really disagree with this choice since there are many factors that make the GoPro a better choice vs something like the BM Micro Studio or other camera system.

So I need to work with the camera to give me the best images I can get out of it. It will be installed on a lightweight POV rig on kids, aging 11-14 y.o. The locations are mostly interior days with windows.

I would like to try and light the locations as much as possible to avoid the typical electronic highlights blown out look of GoPro interior footage. Anyone has any tips for that? Keeping in mind that the actors must be able to look around a bit, turn their head, etc. So I assume pretty much a full 180 axis if not almost lighting on 270 degrees.

My approach as of now (I haven't seen the locations yet) is to try and pump as much soft light as I can from the dead angle to raise the ambiance in the room, gel the visible windows with ND and control practicals intensity to get them to expose properly. All the while limiting the Gopro ISO to 400 and using my meter old school like to get the light level where the camera needs it for a proper shutter speed.

Any other ideas? Tips when working with the GoPro on interior scenes?

Thanks