How did they Light this ?

• Premium Member

I can only guess... in that really wide shot at 1:08, there is a soft top light over the center -- the trickier part isn't figuring out the light on the people, it's the uplighting on the second floor arches, as if were lit from the glow of the candelabra floor lamps. I think there are a lot of hidden strip lights (maybe LED strips) all around to uplight the ceilings and arches.

As for the center soft top lighting, it changes from shot to shot, sometimes only the back row of dancers are top-lit and the foreground is light with another lower light. So I'm going to make a guess and say that the set was lit with a ring of hanging space lights, and then the center of the ring is filled with another space light, or a couple, all probably skirted, and they are turning some off and on depending on the shot (and raising and lowering them.)

It's possible that they are using a balloon light for the center overhead so that they can drag it around, lowering it for the closer shots so that it is just over the lens.

If you're not sure what a space light is, search under "6K space light" -- here is one page with a photo of some:

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/BBvO55ACFJbnpynyGnIGcg/l.jpg

But I'm just guessing.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fairly 'big light' sort of situation... top light in many shots, at 0:53 or so, you can see a large softbox way up high, with a large flag to cut the soft box from illumating the people in the second floor archways, but does give the soft light to the talent on the floor.

Lighting also seems to change, so the setup above may have just been for a portion of the sequence.

• 1 month later...

@JB Earl... Not really. Indian cinema is very diversified. Indian cinema is not just about 'Bollywood'.. There are other two major industries based from India. Kollywood and Tollywood.. Both produce amazing films that are deep rooted with its culture. and to answer your question about western style and dhoom. Not really! Dhoom was just one such series. People love watching films that are more related to our culture and emotions with hollywood style making. We dont prefer western style indian movies because we always had access to Hollywood films. Hollywood films have a huge audience here....(P.S. 20th century fox, walt disney, warner has produced indian films here )..We have really evolved in terms of making. But ofcourse we cannot afford the budgets Hollywood action movies can, simply because of the language. We can only cater to the indian diaspora, Unlike Hollywood whose films are made in english which the whole world follows :)...

well yes coming back to the film we were discussing. You should definitely watch the film. Its pure poetic film. rich with its visuals. im sure you would love it as much as i did.

Here is the official trailer of the film.