Cheaper alternatives to the Arri Fresnel 300 or 650?

Max Field

Sales Pitch Alert - We manufacture the products I am going to recommend below

Please check out our web site and in particular this page - http://www.photonbeard.com/frensel.html

As we probably were the last manufacturer to make a new range of tungsten heads we were able to use the most modern techniques so for example the bodies are all made from laser cut aluminium which means they are lighter than most whilst still being strong. Similarly we used the best reflector material we could find so the light output is higher than our competitors.

We also have open face options (Redheads and Blondes) which are available as single heads or in kits with stands.

In the US please contact :

Pete Challinger

PM Tech - US Operations for Photon Beard

4096 Rowles Rd

Vina, CA, 96092

T: (+1) 530-267-0822

M: (+1) 530-200-0295

LA (+1) 818-237-4257

Contact e-mail: petec@photonbeard.com

Contact e-mail: petec@pmtech.com

Webshop https://pmtech.myshopify.com/

End of pitch.....

• Premium Member

This topic comes up at least twice a month. The bottom line is that the brand name lights and the "cheaper alternatives" both have drawbacks. With brand name lights, you ultimately get a better product. The drawback is the cost but if you take care them, they last. I bought my first ARRI 650w about 15 years ago and I've never had a single issue with it.

Although I don't have direct experience with the knock-off fresnels, I've heard all sorts of safety horror stories. So I just think it makes more sense to spend money for something that is going to last and perform properly, rather than skimp on the cost only to wind up with something that may or may not work very well or long.

If you buy far east ARRI counterfeits, at the very least you can expect to have to re-wire them.

If you'd consider a different USA make, I have two B&M 650's I'd consider letting go. Complete, barndoors, scrims, working globes plus one new globe.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

I picked up an LTM pepper 650 for $40 the other day on Ebay.

Someone recently said the LTM's are about 1/2 stop dimmer than the Arri's, and concluded that it came down to lens design.

I've measured real Arri's 300 and 650 and I can't find them to be any "better" than an LTM.

I have not experienced the As-Arri but I'm sure they're fine once some standards are built into them.

Picked up a crazy 1K from Italy that I'll have to gut and rebuild as no one can figure out what kind of socket is broken inside it - however it was $30!

• Premium Member

Is it a QuartzColour? What can you tell us about it?

Freya,

It IS a QuartzColour!

Polaris Quartzcolor 260 Model

The problem with this one is the ceramic has cracked, as I understand is common for that model, but I can't find a replacement.

It also came with a g12 base to convert, but that means disassembling the entire lamp and drilling into aluminum...

I think the socket is maybe a G22.

Sadly it's very expensive.

Does this look right:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOCKET-for-OSRAM-SYLVANIA-G22-NO-LEADS-UPC-046135693717-/141827875378?hash=item210599a232:g:6osAAOSwMTZWRk2o

If it is a G22 maybe knowing what it is will help you to find one cheaper.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

If anyone is interested I do have some used Quartzcolor 2kW P/O fresnels for sale in very condition for used.

They can be found here - https://projectsdepartment.wazala.com/products/2kw-castor/

The photo is one that is actually for sale and the other 4 are in similar condition.

Peter

See it's not just me. High quality movie lights from Italy = QuartzColour! :)

Freya

Freya - as an ex Strand employee who has sold and installed Quartzcolor all over the world I would agree to a large extent that they were very good products.

Although the HMI range was never quite as good as it should have been.....

Quartzcolor is still around and is now owned by Cosmolight.

I have limited experience of the current range but it is mostly LED now.

Peter

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, the G22 base is not an option at the moment (more drilling).

The fixture contains a bi-pin ceramic socket, held together with a bolt and wingnut. One of the ceramic pieces has cracked but up till now no one has any clue about this particular socket.

Shown below with broken ceramic removed from the top.

v40YlMSh.jpg

Freya - as an ex Strand employee who has sold and installed Quartzcolor all over the world I would agree to a large extent that they were very good products.

Okay, you worked for strand and I have an unhealthy obsession with bargain basement lighting kit. ;)

All the same I have some Quartcolor lamps and the quality is noticeably a league better than their cheap chinese counterparts.

Freya

Yes,

I believe that lamp would fit. And I can replace the lampholder, but that again requires disassembly... unless I can find a tiny drill HA!

Ouch,so it's a G22 compatible lamp holder that is very different from the osram one available?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

So here's what I ended up with. After contacting about 15 companies today, they all responded saying they did not have the part. So i fit a G9.5 socket which will allow me to use 1000w globes.

2q43Ry6h.jpg

Of course the main issue is that the original lampholder held the globe higher up than the new one will. as you can see in the picture below. This is easy to remove should I ever find the proper socket.

I may pick up one of those G22 bases, tho that will require permanent modification.

TLSv5Qih.jpg

Edited by Jay Young