How to create an under attack look like in das boot or Wrath of Khan

Hi,

I have to light a submarine that goes under attack from a sea creature, I want to want to replicate the intense red lighting similar to Das Boot and Wrath of Khan (I've attached photos to show what I'm talking about). I recently acquired a few 789 Blood Red lee filter gels to replicate the look. but not really sure the best way to go about it. I have access to some 4K HMI's, 2K Arri Fresnel, and 2K Mole Richardson scooped soft lights. I also have a few Arri 650's and 300's for extra fill or spotting.

the set is in a studio, roughly 8x16

I'd like to also create a mid range depth of field, I'm using old school Christmas lights on the control panel to give the controls colour, but want them out of focus enough to not be able to tell they are Christmas lights but enough to see the emitting light. If anyone has any tips on this it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks so much!

post-69536-0-14965700-1453872696_thumb.jpg

post-69536-0-24019400-1453872711_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

As you can see, both movies mixed the red with some white fill so that it didn't get too overbearing and soft.

Is this submarine contemporary? Period? Futuristic?

I've found that it's a good idea to see some red light sources in the set to justify all the red light you add, so you have to figure out what sort of red practicals look correct for your set -- red LED strips, red fluorescent tubes, red tungsten light bulbs, red compact flo bulbs, etc. Generally red party gel works fine for matching those.

• Premium Member

I would suggest looking at 'Crimson Tide' and 'The Hunt for Red October' for ideas as well. The former in particular uses a lot of haze, very saturated primary colors, practical lighting from instrument panels, and shallow depth of field which seem to get progressively more dramatic throughout the film.

As you can see, both movies mixed the red with some white fill so that it didn't get too overbearing and soft.

Is this submarine contemporary? Period? Futuristic?

I've found that it's a good idea to see some red light sources in the set to justify all the red light you add, so you have to figure out what sort of red practicals look correct for your set -- red LED strips, red fluorescent tubes, red tungsten light bulbs, red compact flo bulbs, etc. Generally red party gel works fine for matching those.

Thanks David,

its is contemporary to some extent. its also a bit imaginative while carrying realistic qualities. And what you said makes total sense, there are some emergency red lights as well as looking to get red incandescent bulbs for trouble lights

I would suggest looking at 'Crimson Tide' and 'The Hunt for Red October' for ideas as well. The former in particular uses a lot of haze, very saturated primary colors, practical lighting from instrument panels, and shallow depth of field which seem to get progressively more dramatic throughout the film.

Also thank you Satsuki,

I too was thinking of having a mid-shallow depth of field and progressively getting shallower

Thanks you guys, was really insight full.