HMI Flicker/Pulsating @ 1000fps with flicker free ballast

Ash Barron

I was shooting with the phantom 4k at 1000fps all day with HMIs (18k and 6k) on flickerfree ballasts.

All was fine until towards the end of the day when they started pulsing. I figured it might be a power surge or something?

Anyone experienced this before?

I was shooting with the phantom 4k at 1000fps all day with HMIs (18k and 6k) on flickerfree ballasts.

All was fine until towards the end of the day when they started pulsing. I figured it might be a power surge or something?

Anyone experienced this before?

From this site there is mention of 'arc wander' which affects HMI lights and may be produced independent of the power source. Don't know if this is your problem... but it could explain at least one pathway to 'flicker'... that is not based on power supply variations.

http://www.lovehighspeed.com/lighting-for-high-speed/

Edited by John E Clark

• 5 months later...

I had a very similar issue.

I shot with 2 18k and 3 6k.

Everything was fine for about a day and a half then both 18k started to flicker.

Fortunately I was planning to finish the day with the 6k anyway so all was fine but I'd like to find a way to reliably use 18k's in the future.

The ballasts we had were running at 300 maybe if we had 1000hz ballast we'd be better off.