Super 16 Wanted

Ashton Lloydi

• Premium Member

On second thought, the numerous commonly known Aaton design changes were over a longer period, so its not fair to compare that to the ACL case. One needs to know in greater detail the small changes to LTR7 and LTR54.

Yea, and the NPR/ACL also had design changes.

The Aaton's didn't change MUCH over the years. They still shared the same body, basic mechanics, motor/motor location, type of magazine, type of viewfinder system, type of battery. Really the changes were incremental and minor to the point where an owner of an older camera, could modify their camera. I have an original LTR7 which was modified to LTR54. The XTR was almost the same camera when it came out, only three major differences; magazine driving system, integrated LCD display electronics, video tap location. They also moved around the electronics from one side to the other over the years. However, as the XTR continued development, they added more and more "standard" functionality and the net result was the XTR-PROD which is a more professional camera.

It is true that NPR and ACL are older cameras. At the time the ACLII was released, Aaton was on their first generation LTR camera still. However, that just proves my point even more! Why bother with an antique design! I'm the guy suggesting the LTR/XTR cameras here, I'm the guy suggesting "NEWER" is better because guess what, the XTR is a FAR better camera then the ACLII. I'd argue the XTR could be the best S16 camera ever made in fact, but that may go too far and ruffle too many feathers. Suffice to say, why we're having this wonderful conversation, there are people buying LTR/XTR's like they're going out of style and making films with them. Why? Because people like me suggest them and they are the best bang for the buck, if you want a quiet, modern camera.

There are so many motor units made for the ACL it's not even funny. The one I'm familiar with had outboard electronics that sat under the camera. You maybe familiar with the one that has everything enclosed in the same unit. Either way, when someone talks about a motor, never once mentioning electronics, I assume magnets and coils of wire, not leaking capacitors, faulty traces and failing transistors. But hey, that's the "engineer" in me!

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the NPR again Tyler?

All the more common motors for the ACL were little units that attached to the side.

It was quite common for NPR motors to sit underneath the camera tho.

Freya

I talked to a camera tech some years back who had built a motor for an NPR camera using a modern motor and electronics that was small enough to actually fit into the motor aperture on the camera. It made the NPR into a very ergonomic shape and reduced the weight considerably. Unfortunately there wont be a market for this anymore.

Hi I can offer my super16 Arri SR1 with P+S Technik super16 conversion (in 2010), PL mount and integrated Visual Products video assist.

Full kit with 4x magazines, case, rods, base plate... for 2000 Euros

Edited by Matej Pok

Re the idea of buying a camera. Buying one without knowing the condition and service history is a like a lottery. Find out as much as you can. Using a camera that is not maintained is like a lottery. Find out what the maintenance costs are and who can actually do it. If it's maintenance is too expensive or not accessible then consider borrowing or renting.

The price of a camera is meaningless without reference to it's condition.

Lastly, there are always one or two people on a forum who give advice in an emphatic manner, but don't really know what they are talking about. Politely avoid them.

Hey guys, been offered a SR3 Advanced from a company that buy them direct for arri rental UK. I'm thinking it will have been serviced regularly.

Hi,

I've owned a Arri Sr2 (miss it), Aaton a-minima (miss it) and now a Arri 416 (love it). I got the 416 from Arri rental UK and I'm happy with it. It sure looks used but I feel good about buying from rental companies since they kind of depend on having their cameras working to keep in business. They also had the camera cleaned and tested before shipping.

I guess it's ES Broadcast you're talking about? I've bought some lenses from them and would not hesitate to buy a camera from them, especially if they offer a warranty. Then you'll have some time to test it in various situations and any faults should hopefully be noticed.

Also since you're in the UK you have the advantage of being able to inspect in person.

I'm sure there are cheaper options, but the more recent cameras are still not insanely expensive… but I use a different kind of logic when it comes to getting analog equipment (the logic of money loosing passion) compared to digital (the logic of get income for food, shelter and analog cameras…).

Good luck and have fun!

Ye it is esbroadcast, thanks for the information. :)

Hi,

I've owned a Arri Sr2 (miss it), Aaton a-minima (miss it) and now a Arri 416 (love it). I got the 416 from Arri rental UK and I'm happy with it. It sure looks used but I feel good about buying from rental companies since they kind of depend on having their cameras working to keep in business. They also had the camera cleaned and tested before shipping.

I guess it's ES Broadcast you're talking about? I've bought some lenses from them and would not hesitate to buy a camera from them, especially if they offer a warranty. Then you'll have some time to test it in various situations and any faults should hopefully be noticed.

Also since you're in the UK you have the advantage of being able to inspect in person.

I'm sure there are cheaper options, but the more recent cameras are still not insanely expensive but I use a different kind of logic when it comes to getting analog equipment (the logic of money loosing passion) compared to digital (the logic of get income for food, shelter and analog cameras).

Good luck and have fun!

Arri 416, fantastic, was it expensive to buy (if that's okay for me to ask?)?

Hi,

I payed 4000£ (+vat if I would've been outside of EU) for a nice big kit. Before that the Sr2 was around 1500£ and the a-minima around 2500£. I was actually looking for a Sr3 kit but when I found the 416 for that price I "just had to do it" :)

I'd say the most important thing when buying used film cameras is to get a kit with all the accessories included since they can be rally expensive separately. Also buy from a seller who would help you or give you money back if any problems should be noticed during initial testing.

Also I realize it'a always a risk that some mayor component can fail or that Kodak will stop making film… so I invest with a potential big loss in mind. At least this is a time when you can get equipment just unthinkable just some years ago!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

With all the 70mm prints going out this year, they should be "again" in the black! :)

2015 was a great year for Kodak!

But I do agree that spending a lot of money on a camera body, isn't TOO smart. All the camera body does is move film. The money should be spent on lenses. This is why I don't mind using "cheaper" bodies because in the long run, what you shoot is far more important then what you shoot it with.

Kalle: Kodak is not the only company making film. You ought to be paid by one of the video companies, doing their fear-mongering for them.

We'll still be here; don't worry :)

Hi,

Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough, English is not my first language, fear-mongering was not what I thought I was doing :)

Since I started shooting film a couple of years ago (after 15years shooting tv-shows and always wanting to shoot real film…) I've noticed quite a big trend upwards for analog film. I also shoot a lot of medium format stills and there seem to be a big trend going analog among some photographers also. So I'm positive about the near future. Problem is that in a few years that can still change (to be clear I hope it don't) so I think it's good to at least think about it. If I where king I'd ban profit all together… but unfortunately I'm not (yet king) so companies seem to rely on it for some reason.

Kodak is the only company I know of who makes high quality color negative film and I sure do my best to support them in the small ways I can (shoot as much I can). I really hope "people" will realize there's a place for both digital and analog and not let film ever go away.

I've experienced more then one Fuji film for stills vanish the last years, but also seen the rise of Film Ferannia (delayed rise) and Cine Still film and maybe that's a sign of what's to come. Smaller production lines to function without the demand from before to create a sustainable business (until I'm king and the world is all analog again).

The more people that buy these cameras and put them to use the better. I use mine to make a documentary about preservation and shooting on film is kind of a part of the story so let's preserve it :)

• Upvote 2

Hi,

Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough, English is not my first language, fear-mongering was not what I thought I was doing :)

I think Ari was half joking hence the smiley at the end off his post!

Hey Ashton,

If you are not yet decided, please consider the following:

1.) Bolex RX5 S16 with RX-fader, 13x finder, clean with very very little signs of use, if ever.

Smooth running, among all Bolex I know it's one of the least noisy.

Asked price 700 Euro.

2.) Kern Vario-Switar 1:1,9 f 16-100mm POE, c-mount, latest edition, focussing down to 1,2m,

covers S16 over the entire focal range from infinity down to 1,3 m, minimal vignetting at 1,2 m.

Manual or motorized zoom, manual or automatic diaphragm, fully functional.

Clear lenses, everything works fine. Plus shade and close up lens.

Asked price 600 Euro.

3.) Eclair ACL1,5, S16 conversion by Les Bosher.

This is my backup camera besides my ACL 2, which I will keep.

It's a light weight set up with small motor 25 f/s, small finder, on bord battery, handle.

Two 200ft. and one or two 400 mags included.

Interchangeable lens mount, comes with cameflex and Arri standard and bayonet adapter.

Weight: Body, 200ft mag. motor, finder 3,6 kg only,

I used it mainly hand held, comfortable on your shoulder.

Asked price 900 Euro.

There are more parts available, camera could be upgraded with heavy duty motor 8-75 f/s

and fully rotatable Angenieux finder.

I'm located in Germany, easy shipping,

no custom fees (as long as the UK is part of the EU :).

All the best and good luck,

Volker

The colon followed by the close parenthesis is kind of a stubborn, sarcastic fake smile the way I use and have seen it used.

My remarks are meant to relay a defiant, persistent, determined, solidarity among remaining film aficionados both with one another and with the history of this craft.

We'll be here.

"The colon followed by the close parenthesis is kind of a stubborn, sarcastic fake smile the way I use and have seen it used".

Dear Ari,

Sorry, nothing but a smiling reminder, that we European should stay together with the benefit of our free market.

Apologize, if this post can be misinterpreted as sarcasm. No more political statements.

My offer does not mean, that I quit film making. I keep my ACL and another Bolex,

love using them and will continue.

My solidarity,

Volker

Been to look at a SR3 advance, looks OK for a ex rental only thing is the eye cup with heater switch is loose and spins round (don't know if this can be tightend) and it has a little square ivs that's only black and white. What do you guts think. Comes with 3 timcode mags too

Edited by Ashton Lloydi