Eclair npr a wind mags?

J. Winfield Heckert

Yes the NPR just takes regular film as you would buy from Kodak!

Are you thinking of the NPR or the ACL tho?

Only asking as your question makes a lot of sense if you are considering an ACL against the A-minima, as they are the two main sync sound little cameras in 16mm and obviously the A-minima is b-wind and freaky loads. It's a nicer more modern camera too tho so...

Anyway the ACL also takes standard film from Kodak. There are 200ft and 400ft mags for the camera out there and I think you can also use 100ft daylight spools in the mags as well as standard cores but don't quote me on that bit.

Freya

hqdefault.jpg

Here is an an eclair ACL. This one has a bit of a weird custom top handle but other than that it's quite good as it gives you an idea about the camera in scale. I think that must be a 200ft mag. I don't have any sadly and it makes it look a lot smaller than mine!

Hope that helps!

Freya

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the NPR just takes regular film as you would buy from Kodak!

Are you thinking of the NPR or the ACL tho?

Only asking as your question makes a lot of sense if you are considering an ACL against the A-minima, as they are the two main sync sound little cameras in 16mm and obviously the A-minima is b-wind and freaky loads. It's a nicer more modern camera too tho so...

Anyway the ACL also takes standard film from Kodak. There are 200ft and 400ft mags for the camera out there and I think you can also use 100ft daylight spools in the mags as well as standard cores but don't quote me on that bit.

Freya

I'm confused by your answer does it take A winds or B-winds like an Arriflex, bolex etc? I only ask because I shot a short back in school with one. We did a camera test with double perf reversal ( it was what the camera store had in stock at the time!!) the test came out fine. We ordered film and Kodak didn't have double perf color negative on daylight loads, so we ordered single perf on cores. When it came time to shoot the camera wouldn't load correctly it would only load in a backwards fashion, made terrible noise and stretched the film. The project was never completed Horrible experience.

Yeah, sorry I got that all back to front.

I need to get more sleep but it's a bit cold at the moment.

Anyway, yeah I got my winds the wrong way around. The NPR is B-Wind and the A-Minima is A-Wind.

Sounds like your camera was either loaded badly or was faulty.

Ok, I thought I read that some mags where A-wind and that would have explained how the test footage worked and not the Single perf we got for the shoot. The Camera could have been faulty but I remember that it would only take up the rolls Emulsion side out. like the sprockets were on the wrong side.

I had lots of customers using NPRs in the early seventies. The stock used was always B-wind but the exposed film was emulsion out. You cannot and should not buy A-wind stock for camera use. The exception is the Minima where you rewind your own, no longer supplied by Kodak.

• 4 years later...

Not sure you got an answer to your A-wind question, but the NPR accepts voth A-wind and B-wind film. If you look inside your NPR mag feed side you will clearly see two feed guide arrows of "Emulsion In" (B-Wind) and "Emulsion Out" (A-Wind). This makes the NPR very versatile. The only thing you make sure of is that regardless of which wind you use, the emulsion feeds face-up as it comes out of the mag, hence the two feed paths via arrows.