Anyone still see merit in the F900?

Max Field

• Premium Member

Well, yes, possibly, but you have to know what they are, and they have to fit a camera that's also sexy. And with very limited exceptions, they don't.

Also, can you even get the 60p out of an F23 without some custom piece of Sony madness?

P

Well if the F23 or the Varicam aren't sexy enough, you can also pair them with a B4 to S16mm adapter and mount them on a Sony F5(5) and record in 2k 16-bit Linear Raw from 1-240fps... that's kinda sexy. I came very close to doing that with my F5, but ended up selling the camera, so couldn't.

And no special hardware for 60p from the F23. You just need the standard interface box (that comes with every camera) to get dual-link output. With one interface box you can do 50p or 60p 4:2:2 in 10-bit to either ProRes or Uncompressed DPX on the O7Q - or if you want to get really fancy, you add a second interface box to the camera, run quad-link SDIs to a multiplexer, and then feed that multiplexer (via dual-link 3G-SDI) into the O7Q for 50/60p at 12-bit 4:4:4 (yummy!).

I've got an F35 at the moment, but very rarely do huge amounts of slow-motion work with it, so I haven't bothered going to extra mile to access 12-bit 4:4:4 for 50fps. Out of the box, both cameras will let you do 12-bit 4:4:4 at 24p/25p/30p though - and it's very tasty.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

I've been browsing some of those dirt cheap F900 listings just now too.

These are the big problems I see with the F900 in 2016:

a) the F900 lacks SDI out (I think?????) and for that you need to instead get the F900R to get SDI out, and the F900R go for a fair bit more than the original F900

You could buy a Miranda which mounted on the back where your V-mount or Gold mount plate would attach and this converted the RGB to SDI out.

The signal coming from a port on the back of F900 is parallel digital, and should be component 4:2:2, so there's actually no conversion (like analog to digital) going on in the Miranda box. Which's good as it means Miranda doesn't impact signal quality and is no worse (or better) than the HDSDI output of F900R.