First Shot - Name the Movie

Daniel Meier

Yay.

So here's one which also isn't a movie. It's a frame from the opening sequence but it's not the first shot. I think it's the third, but anyway chosen to make it pretty easy if you've seen the show. Was one of my favourite shows as a teenager.

post-48441-0-79977500-1457062425_thumb.jpg

@ Gregg MacPherson - Your gray thing and the fog hint, i thought maybe some "Pirates of the Caribbean",

Then maybe "Shutter Island" and now i "see" some silhouette of flag on left upper side. Maybe some boat in water...

I can say.... that just outside of screen left is one of the three significant characters in the film, and just outside of screen right is another...

This is one of the rare moments in this shot when neither character is in frame.

The language of the character off left we can't understand, and the language of the character off right is Hungarian I think.

Won the Jury Grand Prix at the Berlin International Film Festival.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Brief Encounter (1945) - directed by David Lean

Not seen it?

I've actually had the DVD for a while but so far stuff has got in the way. I've seen clips from it

and there is something about the black and white cinematography in that movie that is a bit distinctive maybe.

Wow I got another one and Space 1999 too.

It's looking up for me on the guess the movie front!

Freya

The one that normally blows peoples mind is that I've never seen Jaws BTW!

I've been half keeping an eye out for a copy lately as I got such an extreme reaction from other cinematographers...

especially as I've seen most of Peter Greenaway's movies.

The general opinion was how did you manage to avoid it?

One problem presently is that there aren't so many second hand DVD's of it because it was more of a VHS thing

but it looks like it has just been re-issued in a budget supermarket format so hopefully it will find it's way into the 50p DVD shops soon.

Anyway I digress...

@ Gregg MacPherson - Your gray thing and the fog hint, i thought maybe some "Pirates of the Caribbean",

Then maybe "Shutter Island" and now i "see" some silhouette of flag on left upper side. Maybe some boat in water...

This later frame may help.

post-47078-0-86460400-1457231368_thumb.jpg

Hint:

- The characters and their props and the camera are all moving left in the frames I offered.

- Was put up for Best Foreign Film Oscar but didn't make the nomination.

- Not all the characters are human.

BTW the first frame I offered from this shot is on page 6.

• Premium Member

@Jay Young - Looks like some sort of umbrella to me... :)

Hint please?

Justin Hayward got it correct, I forgot to respond and say so.

But you may not know the film, so a hint would be - this 1989 film features a high school history report, time travel, and shredding on the guitar.

Justin Hayward got it correct, I forgot to respond and say so.

But you may not know the film, so a hint would be - this 1989 film features a high school history report, time travel, and shredding on the guitar.

Ah that would have to be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Edited by Carl Looper