Film Focus and Projector Focus Incompatibility on Super 8

Dear Cinematographers,

The problem pertains to the Vivitar 733A super 8 film projector, which has been serviced, but has also been sitting in my closet without proper attention for several months. When I project a roll, and focus for the sharpness thereof, the projector's frame is out of focus - noticeably blurred around the border; - and when I focus for the projector's frame, the film is out of focus. Is the problem mechanical, thus requiring me to have it serviced again, or purchase a new one; or simply the result of my own ignorance? I would be sincerely grateful for any assistance in this matter.

Kindest Regards,

Kurt Cassidy-Gabhart

Would that it were so simple!

Dear Mr. Dunn,

Is the frame not perfectly sharp then in larger format projection? It always seems so, but perhaps that is on account of the screen being, as you call it, filled in - am I correct in this presumption?

Sincerely,

K. Cassidy-Gabhart

Would that it were so simple!

When you project a slide, you get a nice sharp edge from the mount, which is in contact with the film for that very purpose. With moving ciné film, the gate is polished and bevelled away from the film to avoid damage. So it can't possibly be in focus.