Question from the lab

I'm shooting film for the first time since film school.

I got a few question from that lab that I was not sure how to answer:

Its on a form that asked about things like what fps and aspect ratio we want, they also asked about Window Placement, what they are asking for?

Also Im not quite sure what I should be asking for on aspect ratio, I want the full 1.66:1 but Im not sure what to ask for do I just say 1.66:1 or do I need to specify how the needs to be letter boxed or anything.

Sorry if these seem really simple, thanks for your thoughts.

post-51774-0-88106100-1457407323_thumb.png

• Premium Member

Window placement refers to burned-in graphic overlays over the picture. Most common would be a timecode window and keycode window. Placement refers to where you want each window placed in the frame - top center, bottom center, lower left, lower right, etc. If you're using this transfer as your master, then don't get any windows. They were used for dailies to make things easier for post, but obviously you don't want that stuff on your final master.

Aspect ratio, just ask for a transfer of the full 1.66:1. I am assuming you shot Super16 and are transferring to 1920x1080p Prores HQ or something like that. If that is the case, then 1920x1080 is 1.78:1 so there will be a slight pillar-boxing or black bars in the final image.

FPS should be pretty obvious, although why they are asking if it was shot at 23.98 is a little strange, as that's a video/digital thing not film. For the AR, say Super 16 1.66:1 letterbox. Window placement is asking you where you want things like Timecode to appear in picture. This assumes that this is purely an offline transfer for edit purposes, and you'll be re-transferring from neg when the edit is complete. LTC is timecode, which you might want in picture. Keycodes are unlikely to be useful unless you are likely to do a neg cut.