Anyone seen umbrellas that fold out with no handle?

andrew ward

Ive seen a new zealand one and Modern make one but its a bit poop and expensive.

Its a large umbrella but the handle is out to the side. So basically you can have it shading the dolly and the stand can be on the side. Or covering a lamp from behind.

Its so you dont have the annoyance of the largw handle directly under it which means the stand its in will be in the way.

Anyone knows where they come from?

Not sure if its lighting or grip.

• Upvote 1

Its for sunshade.

My example of shadowing a DP on a dolly without the umbrella having to be on the track.

It folds flater than a normal umbrella, so its almost like putting up a 4by except it folds up. And arms a bit further away from stand.

Theyre awesome. If I could just find who makes them!

Probably a kiwi grip.

Moderns version is shitty and EXPENSIVE.

No I think it was a custom order

I know a gaffer in Sydney who has one of the ones I want, i think from nz. And another gaffer here just got two from modern to put over 18k arrimaxs.

I cant find it on google or find an image or anything. I probably just need to know a name and it will come up. Searches just bring up those massive cantilever umbrellas.

:)

I called Modern.

they still make the Tractor Umbrella with spud but they make them to order now. $300.00 :0 (The $250.00 price was only once)

If you go their website click on the Tab "Current, Modern Mondays, go towards the bottom on the right, "Follow Modern on Instagram" scroll down, click on "Load more"

https://www.instagram.com/ModernStudioEquipment/

Coolness.

The original one I saw was even better than this "tractor umbrella" style as it was almost flat when folded out, and the holder went straight out, not out then bends back. So it went further from stand.

But this'll do!

Thanking!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.... I spent a lot of time a few years ago sorting out brollies in my truck, so I have a certain level of knowledge about them, trivial as that may sound. The kiwi umbrella you mention was known as the 'Ben Bell', after its designer and manufacturer. Sadly he left the industry some years ago but now makes great worm farm/ compost bins! The Ben Bells haven't been manufactured in years, but a few antipodean gaffers and grips have kept a supply maintained. I have one left myself...

The modern version is shite. Then again I'm not a great fan of modern studio equipment anyway...

The only other version of the offset umbrella I know of is ARRI rental Europe, who do exact copies of the Ben Bell, only not quite as high quality. The main advantage of these brollies in my opinion, is that if you face the knuckle into the wind, they are rather resistant to strong gusts. The weak point is the ball joint knuckle though, and if the kip lever is not doing its job properly then they can get out of control very quickly.

I have stopped using the offset brollies myself, as they do take a little longer to set up. And while the offset junior pin is great, my dolly grip was moaning to me about not getting any shelter himself. Which got me thinking... and in the end I thought he probably had a point, so I found industrial quality umbrellas marketed for welding railways. They are fantastic. 2.5 m (8ft) diameter, easily inserted a junior pin in the stalk, quick to erect, full grid /showercloth type fabric, and at the end of the day, provide as much coverage as the Ben Bell on one side 1.2m (4ft), and coverage on the other side of the stalk for the dolly grip, focus puller, lens cases etc. I mount them in Matthews slider stands with a couple of shot-bags and they're reliable, fast, and very good at keeping the weather off the camera and crew. Hope I don't sound overly pedantic, but I really went through this process thoroughly so I sympathise!!,

I guess its just a standard grip umbrella... but the ones I brought are very well made and tough. And i was able to insert and rivet a junior pin in the bottom with no machining. This is the link http://www.sheerspeed.com/jointers-umbrella-68ft-5105-p.asp

Like I say, I have the original Ben Bell in my truck (it's 20 years old now!), and I have access to Arri Rentals copies, but none of the grips here like using them as they do take a bit more work to put up and take down.

• 4 months later...

It seems there is a bit of an umbrella crisis, the manufacturer in Australia has stopped manufacturing locally and now only make junky ones in bright colors as opposed to the high quality black ones that were industry standard for decades over here, I'm disappointed to hear that the modern variant is crap as I was about to order, they owe me for their rubbish attempt at filling my previous order. Can you buy the arri ones I've seen online ?

Thanks.

I looked at one of those the other day and suggested it to my old gaffer boss who now installs electical switchboards and needed an umbrella to go up against a wall.

Kris; what use would this be to you? The big black grip umbrellas do what you need dont they?

Well they dont make them in black anymore and the quality isn't nearly as good, so they aren't worth spending the money on spigots etc, I'd like to have a tractor umbrella on the dolly as it is easier to get into the right position and they are better in the wind