LED review

Anybody ever use lite panels from a company called Genaray and can offer a review? Specifically this is the model I'm looking at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996876-REG/genaray_sp_e_240b_spectroled_essential_240_bi_color.html

I've never heard of this brand before. They're very cheap obviously so I'm not expecting a top of the line light by any means, just something small and cheap and convenient. Or if anybody can turn me on to another brand/model that's similar in price, on the smaller end, bi color, and battery operated. I just want something that works OK without having to pay Lite Panel prices, any knock off brand is probably fine as long it's not hideously green or falls apart on the first use or whatever.

• 2 months later...

Anybody ever use lite panels from a company called Genaray and can offer a review? Specifically this is the model I'm looking at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996876-REG/genaray_sp_e_240b_spectroled_essential_240_bi_color.html

I've never heard of this brand before. They're very cheap obviously so I'm not expecting a top of the line light by any means, just something small and cheap and convenient. Or if anybody can turn me on to another brand/model that's similar in price, on the smaller end, bi color, and battery operated. I just want something that works OK without having to pay Lite Panel prices, any knock off brand is probably fine as long it's not hideously green or falls apart on the first use or whatever.

Well, I do feel that Lite Panel is a bit over priced. But, the quality are relatively high. there are lots of LED lights available in the market. the problem to find one is good is not easy for most of the users. LED lights has to be built with good heat sink, good driver (ballast), high CRI and high TVLC, besides, it has to be good colour temperature.

at this moment, most of the cheap one is made in China by lots of non Film/TV/Video experienced technicians/companies. So the products can only be used for few times and the colour, light, CRI, TLVC deficiency, deal to the products is not made with the above requirements.

so I suggest you should be careful to buy this products online without consulting the sales engineers.

I starts dealing with high power LED for general lighting since 2004, simultaneously I also exporting China Made location light of PAR and Fresnel compact. I did not develop the America Market and I did not have any contact. since so many years, I tried to develop some LED light but due to the technical requirements above. It stopped me. In 2015, I re-start the LED for Film/TV/Video shooting. and the products soon will be launched. There will be 3 products, one of it is the LED 4 ft tube replacement to KINOFLO with 24V DC and supply with a Step Down transformer. Please let me know if you are interested. You can contact me by my email: info@illum-lite.com. (please note that the web site is under construction.)

BTW, please feel free to contact me for any technical details you would like to know. I shall try my best to explain.

Edited by Simon Lam

Rob,

I'd be very wary of any LED light that cheap. Companies that make products that cheap tend to use whatever's the cheapest LED that week. They know that people shopping by price alone don't understand the pitfalls of a poorly designed light. When I first started out I borrowed lights like these and they always caused color issues. If the company doesn't publish their extended CRI (and TLCI) measurements, that should be sign enough.

I have a Cineo Matchbox and it's probably similar in size and output, but has decent color rendering because of the design of the remote phosphor panels. It's definitely more expensive, but you still might want to check it out. Maybe you can find one used on EBay.

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com