TELECINE SUPER 8 4K

Jose luis villar

Great work Jose!

On a related note. Here is my latest Super 8 wedding film. This was a 5K scan down sampled to 2K on the ScanStation at Gamma Ray Video. All the outdoor stuff is 7203 50D. The outdoor light was shifting all over, thus the occasional funky colors.

Be sure to hit the HD button and select 2K for optimum film grain reproduction.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Nice work guys!

I really like your stuff David, it's a great idea and with the retro movement, it really has a nice place in today's modern age.

I'm shocked you got the vows out of one roll of film. I assume you had to cut before the rings, but was that to change cartridges?

Nice work guys!

I really like your stuff David, it's a great idea and with the retro movement, it really has a nice place in today's modern age.

I'm shocked you got the vows out of one roll of film. I assume you had to cut before the rings, but was that to change cartridges?

Thanks Tyler,

It's a great outlet for me to shoot super 8 without bankrupting myself on boring home movies or short films. LOL. In fact, the revenue helps me pay for my own habit... I mean hobby. :) I think the best part of wedding films is it's rewarding. Brides and grooms are almost always happy with the results and it just such a positive experience almost all the time. It's far better than daily corporate life. And no doubt... the retro thing these days helps my sales. I compare it to wrist watches. People my age and older hate wrist watches for the most part because they had them growing up and were so happy to discard them for the iPhone. Todays 20 somethings didn't have watches as necessities. So, they are cool, retro and stylish now. :) The same is true with Super 8. You cannot believe how many parents of the bride or groom have said "why the hell would you want to do that? Super 8 was horrible and we only used it because that's all we had or could afford." LOL But the kids think it's cool because they never dealt with the stress of "did that come out" or "why is that out of focus" or "why is that scene blown out!?" :)

Ha! One roll!? Of course not. Looks clean though doesn't it? The power of deception. LOL. What I did have was a quick jam during rings. I quickly removed and reseated the cartridge and got back to business then edited in some nice clips to smooth it out. :)

It really is a lot of fun while also stressful because I always want to get it perfect for them. They only get this experience once. Even in divorce and remarriage it's never the same.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

David, great to see weddings done this way! Lucky you have clients that will pay for that.

Your shots are nice and steady and well framed. Here's an idea...hand out cheap Super 8 cameras like an AF310xl to some older kids and have them do some random shooting. I've found that a few quick roughly shot scenes anchored by your excellently shot footage gives it even more of a homey feel.

Another small suggestion: find an old titling kit on eBay and shoot titles with the old plastic letters on a black velvet background and you'll be able to overlay that on the film in post easily instead of using computer titles. That way the tiles won't be so perfect which took just a little away from the magic for me (but not from the overall great work).

David, great to see weddings done this way! Lucky you have clients that will pay for that.

Your shots are nice and steady and well framed. Here's an idea...hand out cheap Super 8 cameras like an AF310xl to some older kids and have them do some random shooting. I've found that a few quick roughly shot scenes anchored by your excellently shot footage gives it even more of a homey feel.

Another small suggestion: find an old titling kit on eBay and shoot titles with the old plastic letters on a black velvet background and you'll be able to overlay that on the film in post easily instead of using computer titles. That way the tiles won't be so perfect which took just a little away from the magic for me (but not from the overall great work).

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions Will.

I do have to admit, I'm having a hard time balancing my desire to make "good" films and the rough stylings of a the real "home movie" look. I've slowly been transitioning to far more "cinematic". I like your idea of handing out the AF310XL to guests to get more of that rough footage. I might try that. I'm actually working on a project of 3D printing replacement gears for the Kodak XL320/330 series of cameras all of which have plastic gears that are shredded from being dried out cheep plastic. If I can cheaply get a bunch of them refurbed it would literally be point and shoot for guests. I would just hard set the iris to wide open (for indoors) so they don't get back lighting issues and there ya go.

I have definitely never thought of that tilting kit. Very good idea.

But yea... all this has me trying to break into the more "cinematic" Super/Ultra16 market. One taker so far for this wedding season so we'll see how that goes!

Dave

• Premium Member

But yea... all this has me trying to break into the more "cinematic" Super/Ultra16 market. One taker so far for this wedding season so we'll see how that goes!

Don't be in too much of a hurry...you're doing great work in Super 8 and 16/35 is a slippery and expensive slope!

It's all about emotion...if the blurry stuff is cut right it can work. The major issues with those cameras are that 1) they break easily and 2) they may be autofocus but not very good at it!

Here's a quick example of some of that "cheap camera" work from a few years ago.

Don't be in too much of a hurry...you're doing great work in Super 8 and 16/35 is a slippery and expensive slope!

It's all about emotion...if the blurry stuff is cut right it can work. The major issues with those cameras are that 1) they break easily and 2) they may be autofocus but not very good at it!

Here's a quick example of some of that "cheap camera" work from a few years ago.

Nice... yeah, you sure can tell the difference between the Beaulieu and the Canon. :)

The 16mm is more expensive but not finding it TOO much more expensive. Now 35mm... especially 4-perf... forget about it. Way out of my league!