Arriflex 16SR missing part

Ieong Kin Pong

I am a newbie in film, and want to try shooting on film. I order a arriflex 16SR on ebay, and it says "Eyepiece magnifier missing". Photo as follow

s-l1600.jpg

Is that eyepiece magnifier important? If so, where can I get that eyepiece magnifier? Seems hard to find one.

The viewfinder is critical - you won't be able to see an image without it. Do a search on ebay for "arriflex sr viewfinder." As you can see, it would be attached here:

attachicon.gifSR2.jpg

I search something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arriflex-Viewfinder-Eye-Piece-/121938912232?hash=item1c642023e8:g:Gi0AAOSwzvlW-dsf

and viewfinder extension

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIEWFINDER-EXTENSION-ARRIFLEX-ARRI-SR-7-LONG-/231874455594?hash=item35fccb682a:g:4O8AAOSwBLlVZ1QH

Which one should I buy? The viewfinder extension says "One tooth is broken off but since it attached to the camera with a screw on ring, it is not affecting the performance" True?

Edited by Ieong Kin Pong

• Premium Member

I search something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arriflex-Viewfinder-Eye-Piece-/121938912232?hash=item1c642023e8:g:Gi0AAOSwzvlW-dsf

and viewfinder extension

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIEWFINDER-EXTENSION-ARRIFLEX-ARRI-SR-7-LONG-/231874455594?hash=item35fccb682a:g:4O8AAOSwBLlVZ1QH

Which one should I buy? The viewfinder extension says "One tooth is broken off but since it attached to the camera with a screw on ring, it is not affecting the performance" True?

The first one doesn't seem to fit the SR (if you look at the posted questions, it states the systems that it is compatible with) and the second is just an extension - it will be useless if you don't have the viewfinder because the viewfinder gets removed from the camera and is then attached to the extension.

Always ask the seller if something is compatible with your system.

The first one doesn't seem to fit the SR (if you look at the posted questions, it states the systems that it is compatible with) and the second is just an extension - it will be useless if you don't have the viewfinder because the viewfinder gets removed from the camera and is then attached to the extension.

Always ask the seller if something is compatible with your system.

oops, then I better not buy the viewfinder missing SR, as I barely find any viewfinder for SR on web.

Thanks for your help!

• Premium Member

oops, then I better not buy the viewfinder missing SR, as I barely find any viewfinder for SR on web.

Thanks for your help!

I thought you bought it, already. If you didn't, that's good - you never want to purchase any camera package that is missing essential items. You don't know what other issues the item might have.

Have you considered looking at a more basic 16mm package like the Arri-S?...

I thought you bought it, already. If you didn't, that's good - you never want to purchase any camera package that is missing essential items. You don't know what other issues the item might have.

Have you considered looking at a more basic 16mm package like the Arri-S?...

I have ordered it, but it allows me to cancel the booking and get full refund, lucky.

What's the difference between SR and S?

• Premium Member

What's the difference between SR and S?

The Arriflex SR is a more advanced camera than the Arriflex-S. There are lots of differences, but the most glaring one is that the SR is more suitable to sync-sound filming. The Arri-S is an MOS camera generally used for silent filming. If this is your first foray into 16mm film-making, it's a great camera to learn on.

This is a great tutorial on the Arri-S.

• Premium Member

The Arri S is great for handheld shooting. The SR is more modern with 400 foot mags (vs. 100 ft. on the S). SR's are generally easier to find parts for although there are tons of S's out there too.

The S is great to start on. If you are looking at an SR, I'd hold out for an SR2 or SR3 with a PL mount converted to Super 16 (in the case of the SR2). Regular 16mm is great on these cameras, but might as well go Super 16 if you can.

By the way, the Arri S cannot be converted to Super 16 very easily. The only one I ever saw converted would have cost 3-4 thousand dollars for the work.

• Premium Member

I'm sure a camera tech can give you very specifics; the SR2 is supposedly a little more quiet, but I really didn't notice much difference. I suspect some of the noise would come from the magazines and you can have an SR1 running SR3 mags. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between the SR1 & SR2 but I only had the SR1 for a few months. If you get a better deal on an SR1 then I'd go for it. Arri NY fixed my SR1 board just a couple years ago so while they don't officially support it, sometimes they take it as a personal challenge to keep them running.

The big leap is the SR3. You'll notice big differences going to that one. Great viewfinder, PL mount, Super 16 standard and SUPER quiet.

Also you'll find these cameras heavily modified with Cinema Electronics speed controls, PL mounts, Super 16, ect. so you really have to check each camera out carefully to know what you're getting. I'd also have it taken to a camera tech that lives these things (or at least used to!) to make sure you're not missing something.

• Premium Member

You generally need a lot more than just a camera body - there's lenses, camera support like a tripod or hand-held bracket, a head, rods, matte box, follow focus, lights, grip etc. If that's all a bit much, maybe just start with Super 8?

These days lenses are often the most expensive part, do you have access to cinema lenses? The choice of camera will determine what lenses you can use, depending on the mount. An SR 1 for example will need lenses in Arri Standard or Bayonet mount, later SR2s or an SR3 can also use modern PL mount lenses.

If you know what you're filming and have a short shoot planned, it might be better to just rent a full kit. Everything will work, you won't need to waste time buying all the bits and pieces and hoping they work, you can just concentrate on the filmmaking.

If you are collaborating with an experienced DP, perhaps discuss what sort of equipment you'll need first, before launching into the purchase of older gear. People can waste a lot of time and money buying stuff that's incomplete or not working properly, and never actually get to the point of making something.

• Premium Member

If you know what you're filming and have a short shoot planned, it might be better to just rent a full kit. Everything will work, you won't need to waste time buying all the bits and pieces and hoping they work, you can just concentrate on the filmmaking.

This is a good idea, especially since they almost never rent these anymore and you'll get a great deal...at least rent before buying so you get some experience with it.