nizo 561 macro + wittner chrome 200D reversal film

Hugo Alexandre

Hello,

Nizo_561-1.jpg1200_g.jpg

I will be shooting on a Super8 camera, specifically the Nizo 561 Macro, with Wittner Chrome 200D Reversal Color Film. There's a few things I'd like to know so that I can get the correct exposure for every shot.

1) The Nizo camera cannot read the 200D ISO for the Wittner film...What does it default to? What should be the compensation I make using Automatic Exposure?

2) Does the Nizo recognize that it's a Daylight stock and not a Tungsten stock? If not, should I make any adjustments when I'm shooting in Daylight? What if I'm shooting in Tungsten light, should I make any adjustments?

I will not be using a lightmeter and will be relying on the automatic lightmeter inside the camera.

Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated!

Thank you,

That cartridge is correctly configured for daylight. The lower flange of the cartridge pushes the lever in the camera which moves the 85A filter out of the light path. In a tungsten cartridge there would be a notch to avoid the lever.

For tungsten you'll need a blue 80A filter on the camera lens. This will absorb 2 stops. The meter should compensate.

That cartridge is correctly configured for daylight. The lower flange of the cartridge pushes the lever in the camera which moves the 85A filter out of the light path. In a tungsten cartridge there would be a notch to avoid the lever.

For tungsten you'll need a blue 80A filter on the camera lens. This will absorb 2 stops. The meter should compensate.

Hi Mark. Thank you for this info! What about the fact that the Nizo 561 is configured to detect only up to 160 ASA? Have you heard about this?

Also, the Nizo 561 has a Tungsten setting on the camera. Wouldn't this setting automatically enable the blue filter?

If that's so then the film will be a bit over-exposed. You might want to consider manual metering.

The tungsten setting is to remove the 85A filter manually. It's orange, to filter tungsten film for daylight. There isn't a blue filter in the camera, you'll have to add one.

The Nizos have a analoguesqe ISO sensor :) I.e. a wedge shaped feeler protrudes in the notch as deep as it can. This feeler is part of the EE system and moves a door more or less in front of the light sensor. The door is perforated. Hence it makes the EE system adapt to the ISO of the cartridge inside. If 200 is out of reach it will adjust to the camera's highest ISO.

• 1 month later...

Hi Hugo Alexandre,

Don´t worry about the exposure. Just set the camera to artificial light, to be sure. The camera will set at 160 ASA. The 200D film has a great tolerance and, if your camera´s lightmeter is still good, you will get very acceptable images.

Recentley I rolled a 200D through my Nizo 561M and the results are really good, bare in mind the characteristics of this film.

Good luck, Paul