Looking for some help

Colin Staehle-Lantelme

Hello all! So i recently started working with a local artist for film photography. We got to talking and we want to film a short film using 8mm format. Camera wise i was thinking a Bolex D8L. I know you have to use double 8mm with this camera, and to be honest its one of the reasons that drew me to it. I plan on developing, splicing and editing the whole thing my self, i just had a few questions. 1. whats the chemistry should i be using? (same chemistry i use for developing my 120 film?) 2. whats the best way to split the film? 3. what projector should i be looking for to debut the film. 4.also if anyone could point me in the right direction to which film i should be buying that would be rad!

We plan on premiering it at a gallery were putting together. Thank you!

• Premium Member

Hi Colin,

I have a bit of a soft spot for Standard 8 myself.. spool loading, plenty of end of roll flashing, wonderful heavy cameras made to last with preferably a turret full of quality primes..

As it happens, I documented a service procedure for a Bolex D8L here:

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/servicing-bolex-d8l.html

If you want to view your footage on a projector you either need to use reversal (positive) film or make a print from negative stock. Reversal is obviously a cheaper and better way if projection is the primary viewing option you want.

Unfortunately colour reversal has been discontinued until perhaps a company like Ferrania produces some. You might still get some Ektachrome 100D in standard 8 50ft spools on ebay or Wittner Chrome or something. Kodachrome can no longer be processed as colour reversal. Others might have better suggestions for alternatives.

I prefer cement splicers, but many people use tape, lots of info on the web about 8 or 16mm splicing. You might also want an editor/viewer in order to know where to cut and splice.. I like the Minette 8.

My favourite standard 8 projectors are a Bolex 18/5 or a Bolex M8.

• Premium Member

Choosing a film stock is of course more an aesthetic decision than a technical one. The first defines the second.

However, given the niche availability of Double 8 / Normal 8 cine-film, and that maybe looking at film stock gives the inspiration for the look and feel of the film project, I would suggest you check out these suppliers:

Wittner Cinetec, distributing the Agfachrome RSX-II 200 D color reversal film on polyester base (data sheet) for the E6 development process.

Foma, distributing the Fomapan R 100 as 10m or 30m B&W reversal film on acetate base (data sheet). It has slightly coarser grain than the new old Kodak Plus-X (7265), but not too close to the Kodak Tri-X (7266) territory.

Kahl Film offers his own-branded film stocks such as the Kahl UT 18 and Kahl UT 21 color reversal in 7.5m and 30m, as well as OrWo UN 54 100/160 B&W reversal. He also offered Ferrania 100 color reversal, but that's now sold out. Development is supposed to be included. Personally, I have not had satisfactory experiences with Kahl, as I dislike the company's intransparency when it comes to the sourcing of the film stock, business behaviour and communications. However, if you don't expect industry standards, Kahl may be for you.

An excellent port of call for film stock, development and post is beyond any doubt ANDEC Filmtechnik in Berlin. You can also buy film stocks mentioned above at the Old Film Company and, with a quick web search, with different sellers around the planet.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...