Inglorious BastardsTable scene: Par Can or LED panel

Hello-

I am lighting a (round) dinner table scene and I am looking for a bit of a dramatic look. Lighting 3 actors of varying ages, and the idea is create a bit of arena at this table where by the light source from above is main source and the rest of the room is very much in shadow.

Budget is of concern so, I thought I throw this out the community as I am struggling to decide what light would best do the job: par can or LED panel with diffusion.

I have attached a reference from inglorious bastards.

Thanks all!

Cristina

Cristina, there's no still attached, but to take a guess, as it's a Robert Richardson movie, the par can is the way to go. An LED panel, particularly through diffusion, will not have the intensity and punch that you need.

I agree with Stuart, if you go for a dramatic look as you are saying, you need a harsh intense source of light giving you the right punch. With a LED panel, even more when diffused, you would get a softer flatter look that may be not what you're looking for.

I once had to light a similar ‘table’ scene, I didn’t have any par can, so I used a 1K tungsten fresnel, it worked quite well. PARs shadow patter’s less cleaner I believe.

check this out, it’s a great analisis of Inglourious Basterd cinematography of the very first scene, it might help you out: http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/2014/7/18/glouriousbasterds