WTB: Basic lens to suit Arriflex SR3 / PL Mount

Brenton Lee

Hi, not on a huge budget and looking to buy a used lens to use for an SR3.

I'm definitely not after anything fancy, just something that is versatile. I plan to rent lenses when needed, just need something I can use when I'm on the run.

Open to suggestions really ... nothing too wide or long.

Feel free to post here or PM me, thanks.

Brenton.

Hey Brenton,

I think a budget will help, "not huge" isn't clear enough, for me, an inexpensive PL super16 lens is around 3-4K USD at least.

If it was me, I'll suggest one of the Canon zooms, like the 8-64 or the 11.5-138 , those are for most part sharp, and you could actually shoot a film with one, I would prefer it over primes which are quite expensive on super16 and will limit you as you probably don't have a budget for a set, so you will be stuck with one or two focal length.

Another option is the G.L optics PL conversion lenses, they have a Tokina 11-16 and 16-28 PL lenses as well as Sigma 18-35 PL, all of them are useful focal lengths for super16 and you could use them later down the road with super35 cameras.

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck at the $1500 point right now but I'm saving pretty quickly. I don't have high expectations for quality etc, just something cheap and nasty that functions okay.

I might be in the $3-$4k bracket in a month or so, so any other suggestions - keep em coming.

Thanks!