Shoes shoes shoes!

Josh Bass

Ok, here's a shout out to all my PAs, ACs, DPs, anyone who walks around or stands around, and has to be on their feet for 10 hours (or more) a day. What do you people wear to keep your feet from hurting after a few short hours?

I have some tennis shoes/sneakers/whatever that I got at Academy a while back, and they felt soft and cushiony in the store, but now, not so much, at least not after maybe 3-5 hours. My heels start to hurt.

I got some Danskos just now, but I think they're too big. So. . .when I return 'em. . .you people got any other recommendations?

• Premium Member
Ok, here's a shout out to all my PAs, ACs, DPs, anyone who walks around or stands around, and has to be on their feet for 10 hours (or more) a day. What do you people wear to keep your feet from hurting after a few short hours?

I have some tennis shoes/sneakers/whatever that I got at Academy a while back, and they felt soft and cushiony in the store, but now, not so much, at least not after maybe 3-5 hours. My heels start to hurt.

I got some Danskos just now, but I think they're too big. So. . .when I return 'em. . .you people got any other recommendations?

New Balance 991

I've probably been through 10-12 pairs in the past 10 years.

Handmade in London, highly polished, brown ostrich skin loafers with little tassels on the front.

This kind of succesful banker footware intimidates most producers into thinking that the 2000K of lighting that's just sitting in the truck is actually necessary and par for the course.

This of course goes along with huge dry cleaning bills - even for location scouting and pre-production meetings.

Dressing robe and slippers for an even more relaxed vibe.

If you look and act class your dayrate goes up proportionately.

As a DP it is important as well to show up with as little personal equipment as possible.

A super thin attache case with the Wall Street Journal and PDA.

Of course the 1st and 2nd AC's show up with all the SWAT gear.

• Premium Member

I can't say enough about Merrell. I've been wearing them for 7 or 8 years now and they're great. They last a long time and have great support.

Check out Merrell here. One of the best places to buy them is REI.

I have a lot of weight on my feet everyday and Merrell's are the best I've found for support and for lasting a long time.

• Premium Member

I've seen quite a few Ecco's lately. I have an older pair of hand-me-downs my brother gave me try out and they're nice, although a little too small for my feet. Another D.P. I know has the same shoes. Kind of funny, I think.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

These are a dream....

http://www.millets.co.uk/Millets.storefron...oduct/081909431

Of course the 1st and 2nd AC's show up with all the SWAT gear.

:lol: Funny you mention that, on a short I did last year the AC/PA came in full out British army gear, webbing and everything (by webbing I mean that jacket with loads of pockets e.t.c. not webbing as in camouflage netting)

I mean that's going a bit too far I think... <_<

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well, I'm wearing new balance as I type this, and my heels hurt like hell from standing on a concrete blue screen floor for hours on end. . .so I don't think they're going to work for me. I've been out on other shoots with these shoes, and they just don't hold up after a while.

Handmade in London, highly polished, brown ostrich skin loafers with little tassels on the front.

This kind of succesful banker footware intimidates most producers into thinking that the 2000K of lighting that's just sitting in the truck is actually necessary and par for the course.

This of course goes along with huge dry cleaning bills - even for location scouting and pre-production meetings.

Dressing robe and slippers for an even more relaxed vibe.

what, no smoking jacket or ascot???

I think the best bit of advice i've ever read here (or anywhere) was in an earlier thread where someone mentioned taking TWO pairs of shoes and changing halfway through the day- brilliant!

Tim, knitting is super-trendy now in London. I kid you not there are "Stitch and bitch" clubs.

Metallic and other types of alternative yarns.

Apparently Russell Crowe is a knitter!

It's all some kind of "post-feminist" resurgence.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Millets (same place Daniel just cited) do half-reasonable walking shoes, which I wear all the time. You can pay far more for less functional stuff elsewhere.

Needless to say the local Millets has been swallowed by the opening of a gigantic Blacks store down the road - which needless to say offers a vastly poorer selection of all the things that matter, in favour of worthless consumerist junk (Nike branded bush hats?) I have no idea what I'm going to do when these wear out, but they've carried me extensively around London, LA, New York and Vegas, so I can't really complain.

Phil

Well, I traded in the danskos for merrells, and got these superfeet inserts as well. I can't really try it out on set, or I will own them. As it is, I can take 'em back if I only wear 'em indoors (though the thing I'm working on now is indoors, it's a very dirty indoors). So, we'll see how that works out.

I rotate between my Merrells (which are starting to get pretty beat up) and various pairs of skateboarding shoes because they are really well-padded. I considered showing up on set in my pajamas a few times, but usually cargo pants/shorts (zip-offs!) and a t-shirt with my tool belt win out. See, as a camera assistant, I would naturally love to have more pockets, but I can't find a fisherman's vest that actually fits me; usually they all look like I am wearing JUST the vest, which might be awkward.

• Premium Member

Hi,

What are these Merrells? I always glance at the footwear selection when in the US (having American-sized feet) but haven't noticed the brand.

And Annie, you should meet Anna Carrington, London's favourite diminuitive camera assistant, who can famously fit inside her own equipment bag. We don't usually shout about it too much as it offers unscrupulous producers the prospect of minimising travel and accomodation costs by treating the crew even more like baggage than usual.

Phil

Phil,

They're good shoes and they look cool too, you should look them up online. The REI Outlet has really good deals on them. That is funny about Anna Carrington because earlier today I was joking about getting smuggled off to a documentary shoot in Jamaica in one of the Steadicam cases. Then when I was loading, I discovered that my arms were too skinny for the sleeves of the changing bag. Oh the many uses of gaff tape...

• Premium Member
Hi,

What are these Merrells? I always glance at the footwear selection when in the US (having American-sized feet) but haven't noticed the brand.

Phil

Phil,

Snow & Rock in Kensington High Street stock Merrells.

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

Whatever you wear, change socks and shoes mid day. Your feet will love you for it. Only takes a minute. I usually wear Nike Air Max all terrain sneakers followed up by a pair of Merrill's. I also wear padded socks if I'm on hard surfaces.

• Premium Member
Well, I traded in the danskos for merrells, and got these superfeet inserts as well. I can't really try it out on set, or I will own them. As it is, I can take 'em back if I only wear 'em indoors (though the thing I'm working on now is indoors, it's a very dirty indoors).  So, we'll see how that works out.

If you bought them at REI you can return them. Hopefully you did. I think they have a lifetime warranty on everything! I bought a pair of shoes that were too small a couple years ago, wore them for two weeks and traded them in for a new pair. I have superfeet as well and they're well worth the money. Enjoy!