Moon Light through a window

Hello

So I am trying to create - on a very small budget - moon light coming through a window and I am grappling with which light and tools will do the trick best: Kino Wall of light or a 2.5k HMI book-light?

Any advice would be immensely helpful!!! Reference image is attached.

Thank you in advance!

post-65906-0-34302000-1462887923_thumb.png

Any idea how you'd light so you don't get any of the light spilling into the rest of the room? I know the light needs to be soft and coming in through the window, so I'd do that using a diffusion frame, but my guess is that it would illuminate most of the room, rather than just the bed?

• Premium Member

Depending on how far the soft light is beyond the window frame, and how big and soft that light is, the window frame would act as a cutter. If there is enough room off-camera between the window and the bed, flags cut be used to cut the light further.

Of course harder light is easier to cut with flags, larger sources require larger flags and the space to use them.

Any idea how you'd light so you don't get any of the light spilling into the rest of the room? I know the light needs to be soft and coming in through the window,

Moonlight is actually a very hard source, it just looks soft because it's also usually so dim that it appears low contrast. Hard light is much easier to control.

Thats true isnt it.. but its very often portrayed as a very soft light on people or say in the attached image..nearly every bedroom night scene..(well it looks like soft light to me anyway).. is that just because it "looks" better on skin ..and/ or just some sort of cinema grammar thats evolved that moon light is blue and soft..