Should I or Shouldn't I?

Mark Day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131812395106?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is listed on e-Bay and according to the seller, it appears to have issues. Does anyone know about these cameras? Why wouldn't the lens come off if the seller knew what he was doing? And as far as a dark viewfinder, could the shutter be closed. I'm new to all of this.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

The Beaulieu 2008 S is a very good camera, a predecessor to the top-of-the-line Beaulieu 4008-series.

Check out the manual of the Beaulieu 2008 S by clicking HERE.

I have rarely seen a camera in such good cosmetic condition, but it is certain that it will need some CLA job.

It is common for the shutter to be left in such a position that the viewfinder is darkened, when the camera is stopped not via the release button but via the power switch at the back of the handgrip.

Why the lens doesn't come off is a bit weird. It may have been screwed in too tightly, or, worse, someone superglued it into the C-Mount – no end to idiots roaming the world.

Based on the picture of the battery pack, this is an A model, i.e. serial number < #808699. This means you cannot use the three-contact battery pack that is still available to buy new from Wittner Cinetec's Beaulieu Shop. Instead, you may have to buy the 'Akku-Dummy / Kontaktblock 2008 Modell A' to feed power into the camera from an external battery, which is a good idea anyway. Alternatively, you may be able to re-cell the supplied battery pack, which as its NiCd-based, will most certainly no longer function properly. I am not an expert on A-model Beaulieu 2008 S power pack issues – maybe someone else can chime in?

Overall, if you can get it CLA'd in the USA, and obtain an external power source, it's a good buy as US$65 doesn't strike me as a bad deal, given that you have untested ones going for three times the money on eBay at the moment.

Incidentally, HERE's a 4008 with the same lens and new battery pack for US$295. More importantly, the seller also states in the description that s/he offers service and re-celling for Beaulieu 2008 S models et. al., unrelated to the auction at hand

So this may be a good port-of-call to inform yourself about the specific battery issues of the A model 2008 S, and also have it serviced there, should you buy it from your original auction.

/-M

Incidentally, HERE's a 4008 with the same lens and new battery pack for US$295. More importantly, the seller also states in the description that s/he offers service and re-celling for Beaulieu 2008 S models et. al., unrelated to the auction at hand

So this may be a good port-of-call to inform yourself about the specific battery issues of the A model 2008 S, and also have it serviced there, should you buy it from your original auction.

/-M

Some recommendation to post, the camera isn't working properly. Why does this receller think is good for his business to sell faulty cameras. But with a new battery?

but the ASA dial it not rotating properly, adjustment needs to be done for proper alignment with the markings. The auto iris does not work,

Also I think the ZMII plate doesn't belong on the camera. It has an Angénieux 6-64 and there is no de-clutch control. The left leatherette body panel seems more like a very late edition 4008, mind the feetcounter window. The cover on the drive-axis is also a late verseion. So, it is a very old or very late camera. Or parts have been rearranged :( It could even be a ZMIV late edition :)

No to start about the deep scratches which would be very difficult to get even when on purpose.

And aren't these Li-Ion batteries to be charged off camera?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

There's a 30-day return on that camera. You'd only be out $20 for postage. I'd take a chance if I were in the market especially as I could rig up a power supply for testing. I'm with Michael on the lens just being very tight and the seller not wanting to break anything.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Some recommendation to post, the camera isn't working properly. Why does this receller think is good for his business to sell faulty cameras. But with a new battery?

Also I think the ZMII plate doesn't belong on the camera. It has an Angénieux 6-64 and there is no de-clutch control. The left leatherette body panel seems more like a very late edition 4008, mind the feetcounter window. The cover on the drive-axis is also a late verseion. So, it is a very old or very late camera. Or parts have been rearranged :( It could even be a ZMIV late edition :)

No to start about the deep scratches which would be very difficult to get even when on purpose.

And aren't these Li-Ion batteries to be charged off camera?

Andries,

A) Where did I say I recommend purchase of this specific 4008 eBay camera? Exactly, so no need for the officious formulation towards my orignal post you chose to open with :rolleyes: :) . This was about highlighting to Mark Day the price difference between a 4008 kit in beaten-up condition with high cost to get back to order, and a 2008 kit in excellent cosmetic condition that may be less expensive to do a CLA on – both with the same lens.

B) While Beaulieu cameras are more maintenance-demanding than any Bauer, most Canon, and some Nizo, I own 4008 bodies for over 25 years and they run flawlessly. Can't say the same about that damned ownership of a 6008 (never again! :ph34r: ). It's not a marque for casual beginners, but absolutely worthy of recommendation for beginners seriously dedicated to exploring Super 8 to the max.

C) Not every ZM II came with the Schneider 11x6mm by default. You could order the Angénieux 8x8mm as well. The novelty for the Angénieux bundled with the ZM II was the new bi-tubular Beaulieu Reglomatic. The Schneider was exclusively introduced with the ZM II, and remained optional on the ZM IV.

D) While every ZM II has the exposed motor-shaft/sync-sound socket (over the prior ZM), not every ZM II model has also the 'film wind locking button' or friction brake, which when pressured declutches the motor and thus enables the lovely manual rewind feature.

In fact, the exposed motor-shaft was introduced by Beaulieu with the ZM II primarily as a sync-sound socket so that broadcast-standard Pilotton Synchro-Pilot or Erlson Contact-Switch accessories could be inserted.

The development of the rewind feature via the friction brake came at a slightly later stage in the production. It was mainly inspired by and pushed for by Ritter, Germany's Beaulieu importer. I don't have the serial number at hand from which this became standard for production, but can look it up if you can wait until second-half of June (am travelling right now).

Incidentally, it also became a retro-fit feature offered by Ritter to its customers for already sold ZM models. They would swap out the body panel for a ZM II one to gain the exposed motor-shaft, add the friction brake, and of course threw in a new ZM II badge. You will find lots of Frankenstein-modified 4008, 3/5008 and 6/7/9008-series cameras that came out of Mannheim, and many Europe-based ZM IIs started their life as a ZM.

E) I fail to see a difference in the leatherette texture, however, the cover for the motor-shaft/sync-sound socket is a standard replacement that was handed out since the mid-1990s, as is the plexiglass cover for the footage counter which lacks the chrome-coloured ring. These spares as original parts were already highly valued in the 1990s, and people were put on waiting lists at Ritter for a leatherette'd socket cover. Hilarious stuff.

F) Battery packs can be charged inside the camera by plugging the battery charger into the uncovered socket next to the eyepiece. However, using the external battery container for charging should be the preferred method. For LiIo and NiMH, it all depends on the charge current management logic of the charger, not on the principle of charging through the camera "wireloom" itself.

Cheers, /-M

P.S.: Note the sticker in the cartridge compartment: "Ritter", the sticker type they used shortly before going bankrupt in the early 2000s.

I sure appreciate all this information guys. I think I may've screwed up, though. The only movie camera I ever used was an Yashica SU 60E I picked up in a thrift shop for about $5.00. I filmed 12 rolls of Kodak Super 8, but never had a projector to look at them. I did have an editor and through that, they actually seemed pretty decent. When I say I may've screwed up, I bought a Canon 814 the other day simply because I didn't have the funds for a Beaulieu that was guaranteeed to work. There are many on e-Bay that are listed as "I have no way to check this" or "fresh from an estate sale - As Is". Being in amatuer radio, I know what "estate find" means. (The seller knows for a fact the item doesn't work but states: "I have no way to check this so I'm selling it As-Is".) Don't get me started. I wish now I had waited and saved up for a good Beaulieu, that's 'film through the camera'. I do have two Bolex Dual 8s, though. A D8L and an H8. Oh well, we shall see.

Estate sale presumably means a house clearance after a death. The seller hasn't time to be chasing after batteries so he lists as not working. It doesn't mean he knows it's faulty- it means he doesn't know. I have a camera which might only fetch a pound or two on ebay so I don't want to spend money on the batteries it needs for testing.

The 814 may just need batteries or the contacts cleaned. It's a perfectly decent camera.

• Upvote 1

There are many on e-Bay that are listed as "I have no way to check this" or "fresh from an estate sale - As Is". Being in amatuer radio, I know what "estate find" means. (The seller knows for a fact the item doesn't work but states: "I have no way to check this so I'm selling it As-Is".) Don't get me started.

In my experience this is very true. Sure some truly don't know but I've messaged probably 10-15 sellers of "I just found this in a box, I know nothing" cameras and ask if they would put some AAs in the battery compartment (always on the lookout for a cheap working Nikon R10 ya know. haha) and 9/10 say "ya I put some in and it doesn't work"