Is this a frame rate issue?

thevisualedge

Hey everyone, I've asked a few people this without a straight answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I am directing a music video in a couple weeks. The concept has the band performing in front of a video screen that will have video rear-projected onto it via a digital projector at 29.97fps.

Because the rear-projected video is cut in sync with the song, I will be using the video as playback, as opposed to the conventional DAT playback.

If the projector is at 29.97fps on shooting day, and our camera is at 24fps, and we telecine to 29.97 video, will there be any sync issues when I go to edit? Common sense tells me no, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

Thanks in advance!

If the projector is at 29.97fps on shooting day, and our camera is at 24fps, and we telecine to 29.97 video, will there be any sync issues when I go to edit? Common sense tells me no, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

The video projector is running at 29.97, but that means NOTHING because as an LCD projector there is no scan line or syncing issues. It's just a crystal constant speed.

You are filming at 24fps, but it can be misleading to say that you are "telecined to 29.97 video) as that doesn't matter at all. You are running the telecine machine at 24fps to lay it down onto 29.97 with a 3:2 pulldown. Now some simple math will tell you that 24 with 3:2 applied gets you 30fps, not 29.97. So the transfer isn't really at 24fps but at 23.976 (actually a few decimals more), or a .01% slow down to keep the 3:2 clean. So you WILL slip slowly out of sync. There are various plugins for computer edit programs and other "Resolvers" for slowing down your audio by .01% to deal with this issue. If you are using relatively short edits then you'll never notice the difference, but you can talk to any transfer facility and they should be able to tell you all about dealing with resolving issues.