Is a YouTube Red account worth getting?

I personally prefer Vimeo for my demo content. I like their streaming services better and if you pay for the basic membership they allow full HD and you can get some pretty good quality. Of course YouTube will allow up to 4K but their compression algorithms are still pretty brutal. Probably splitting hairs.

This reminds me that I need to graffiti my RED One MX to read as

"RED tube

Mysterium-SEX"

Also Youtube RED might be cool if it's one of those under the table "you can never get banned" agreements that Deviantart or Forumotion do.

• Premium Member

No offense, George, but that's probably going to wind up being the typo of the year. :D

Pardon me while I go crawl into a cave for a few decades :wub:

On my YouTube account there was a YouTubeRed ad for something like $.03 a month or something, and I couldn't see the benefit of it unless it gave you free editing tools or something, or if they were promising a built in audience for exhibition.

Linky; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqVDpXKLmKeBU_yyt_QkItQ

:P

p.s. just for the record, I honestly did not know there was an "adult site" called Red Tube. That'll teach me to double check my references!

• Upvote 1

I have a Youtube red account I got because they kept plastering me with ads to subscribe to their ad-free service (go figure). Plus it was only 99 cents for three months promo.

Im not impressed. Main difference is no ads on videos I watch - but then I used adblock prior anyway. From a content provider standpoint I see no difference. Red is basically an end-user tool rather than a tool for content creators, since it provides no real benefits to them over a free youtube acount.

As for RedTube... :/ No comment.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Many thanks, Tim! :D

Landon, that's interesting. I guess it was just something else I mis-interpreted. YouTube did some kind of changeover last year (I think around this time, actually) where they altered basic YouTube accounts, and it felt like they had created the YouTube-Red accounts for "serious users" or "serious content providers". At least that was my impression.

Many thanks for the clarifications ... on all fronts! :lol:

Go with Vimeo, much better. All the TV shows I have worked on in the past 6 or so years use Vimeo for viewing of dailies and such. Simply put Vimeo looks better and you being a visual artist, don't you want your material to look it's best?