Telephoto lens for Phantom Flex4K

• Premium Member

I'm shooting a short series of cars exploding. A-cam will be a Phantom Flex 4K, delivery will be HD so we can punch in for detail shots.

Ideally, I'd have something like a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens

but I can't imagine how to rig that beast to a production camera. What telephoto PL mount lenses are out there in the 400mm f/2.8 range?

I'd also like a lens that will accept a matte box so I can put a circular pola in front of it.

Thanks,

Bill

Really with that Canon you rig the camera to the lens. Fujinon makes a zoom that goes to 400mm but its at 3.8 at that zoom. I think no matter what you are looking at some heavy glass.

Edit: You could also look for something in the 200mm range and use a teleconverter/doubler, you will loose 2 stops of light but it will likely be easier to find lenses that will work in that range.

Edited by Shawn Sagady

Companies such as Century Precision Optics and Optex used to convert telephoto Nikon and Canon lenses to PL mount. A good rental house should have a number of options available in the 300-800mm range. They'll have various mounting solutions available as well. I'm sure a place like Clairmont will have a variety of lenses (I think they even made their own 1000mm that weighed a ton).

• Premium Member

Isn't the Flex PL mount only?

I would recommend something like the Century Optics 150-600mm zoom with a Microforce zoom controller and an OConnor 2575 tripod head. It's a rehoused Canon EF lens with manual focus, zoom, iris. The zoom will help you reframe the subject quickly - pop out wide, track the subject, zoom in and focus, shoot. Stay safe and as far away as possible!

Stop down to T8/11, focus will still be plenty shallow at 600mm. It will be impossible to keep sharp wide open. Don't use filters in front of the lens on focal lengths above 200mm, it will soften your image to an unacceptable degree. Most long telephotos have a rear slot for small drop-in NDs specifically for this reason. Make sure the rental house also provides you with a clear filter to keep in the filter slot when not using NDs - otherwise your back focus will be off.

Hi Bill,

The Century 150-600 5.6 could work for you. Its actually a converted Canon FD lens and comes in many different shapes and sizes, the most simple are the retrofitted stock lens with a PL mount and aperture. With that you could put a pola into the rear filter slot, I wouldn't much fancy putting one in front of a 600mm length. I have used these lenses extensively for natural history work. You would rig with 19mm rods. There are also a lot of Canon FD telephoto primes about that have been converted to PL, all have rear filter slots.

Good luck,

James

• Premium Member

This reminds me of the time I was sent a review example of the Canon 20x50 and a C300, and no support equipment at all. I mean, I have a set of stainless steel 15mm rods, but I think a bit more was really required...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks all for the help. I decided on the Canon 30-300 F/2.8 PL as the rest of my lens package was CN-E primes and zooms.

Worked out very well. On our day off we swapped mounts on the Phantom Flex4K and used the CN-E 30-105 which was EF mount.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...