Best way to render film file

I shoot my films on super 16mm, and i get them scanned on Lasergraphic scanner. Scaned file is .mov 4:2:2 . Now, when i am editing those files, in Sony Vegas 13 in windows 7. i still have trouble understanding what is the best way to render final product. I was usually doing MPEG-2, and friend who said to do coloring for me, uses MAC, and he wasnt even familiar with all those extensions Windows has to offer. So he mentioned H.246 but i would still like more opinions.

Thank You

I use Vegas a lot. What do you plan on doing with these videos? Uploading to the web? Playing back on large screens?

One general tip of advice I can give you is to rarely use the render presets.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The final product should be exported in a format that's similar to the original file. So for instance, if you imported 10 bit 4:2:2, you should export 10 bit 4:2:2.

If someone is doing the color for you, they would be coloring from the original media, not an "export".

The normal procedure would be to consolidate the media onto a deliverable drive with a small quicktime movie as reference with burn-in timecode. The timeline/sequence will be exported as XML or AAF. This drive will then be handed off to the colorist who will import the XML or AAF into the color program and then do the final color. The work they do will be exported at the highest quality possible from the coloring program.

You can't send a colorist an exported file of the finished project because it's all one clip, how can they color individual scenes if they're all one? Most coloring programs have scene/shot detect, but it doesn't work that well and if there are any transitions or effects, it's nearly impossible to make it all work. This is why you "FINISH" in the coloring program, that's where the whole movie comes together and whatever comes out of that program will be your final picture.

Make sense?

• Upvote 1

I shoot my films on super 16mm, and i get them scanned on Lasergraphic scanner. Scaned file is .mov 4:2:2 . Now, when i am editing those files, in Sony Vegas 13 in windows 7. i still have trouble understanding what is the best way to render final product. I was usually doing MPEG-2, and friend who said to do coloring for me, uses MAC, and he wasnt even familiar with all those extensions Windows has to offer. So he mentioned H.246 but i would still like more opinions.

Thank You

I would render the master project to uncompressed 444 if possible. This will be your master that you use to make your deliverables from. If uncompressed is too big, try something like DNXhr444 for your master. If your colorist has a Mac, he can use ProRes4444 for the master.

• Upvote 1

I use Vegas a lot. What do you plan on doing with these videos? Uploading to the web? Playing back on large screens?

One general tip of advice I can give you is to rarely use the render presets.

Well, it will go through some color correcting, and i need to have some file that i can convert into DCP, and send it to festivals. So to answer your second question. Yes, it will go to big screen.

I would render the master project to uncompressed 444 if possible. This will be your master that you use to make your deliverables from. If uncompressed is too big, try something like DNXhr444 for your master. If your colorist has a Mac, he can use ProRes4444 for the master.

I appreciate your response. Are you familiar with Sony Vegas pro 13?And if so, in "render as" settings, which one would you choose and what changes should be made in advanced settings, cause default settings, are not very accurate?

Many thanks Mr Greene

Well, it will go through some color correcting, and i need to have some file that i can convert into DCP, and send it to festivals. So to answer your second question. Yes, it will go to big screen.

Sometimes I like using the Mainconcept MP4 option. Customize the bit rates to be very high, there will also be an option in there to select color spacing like 422 and so on. It's hard to diagnose what to do through a forum, I could skype screenshare with you if you wanted.

Sometimes I like using the Mainconcept MP4 option. Customize the bit rates to be very high, there will also be an option in there to select color spacing like 422 and so on. It's hard to diagnose what to do through a forum, I could skype screenshare with you if you wanted.

Sure. Hre is my username and feel free to hit me up. marconivegas

• 1 month later...

Compessing Super-16 footage to MP4 for grading is nonsense. If it's shot on film with nice glass to go on a big screen, it deserves a proper post format. Quicktime 4:2:2 wasn't too good in the first place, but don't go into any further compression! I've just had my Super-16 footage sent for scanning to DPX 16 bit, and that's a low-budget production for TV.