Poor Shooter's Breise

I was watching Matt Workman's discussion about a Pantene commercial and saw the use of a Breise forcus 140 as a key light. Is there a poor shooter's semi-version of a Breise that gives a similar look? I work in a market where there aren't many large budget commercials, so a Breise basically doesn't exist here and no one is going to pay to truck one down from L.A.

I did like the silver stipple on hair look, so I might try that on a web series sometime soon. Thanks for that Matt.

Stuart

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

I wonder if it fits on other fixtures with a Chimera speed ring? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for pointing out that product.

I thought about it a little more and the characteristics of the light are a beam with a large square area, but focused in direction. I'm curious if a large parabolic softbox, like the ones offered from Chimera, and a reasonably selected grid over the front would give a similar look (80-90%)? It certainly would have square area and the grid would add directionality/fall off. I haven't found a photo yet of just the Breise against a wall to know how the edge falls off.

The only characteristic I see missing is the bulb in the center, which *might* create a slight hard shadow. Silver mirror backing can only reflect about 80% of the light hitting it, from what I know. So it's not like the interior of the parabola will ever be as bright as the bulb itself. I just don't know if it's noticeable.

Thoughts?

Stuart

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com