Cheaper 2K scans in EU?

Edgar Nyari

Hi there,

To save me hours of googling, can someone recommend a relatively cheap scan service within EU in 2K. I noticed some labs use a Spirit Datacine (which AFAIK is not true 2K)....I'd prefer some true 2K scan like Arriscan.

thanks

Edgar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know only about FILMLAB.HU in Budapest, which costs 180 EUR (exc. VAT) for 2K DPX scan on Scanity for 1 roll of 35mm 4 perf (122m)

For the same service Listofilm in Vienna charges 450 €.

Synchorfilm charged 120 €, but they are now closed.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some proper and affordable scanning done in Moscow - Cinelab Digital and Cinelex have Arriscans, Mosfilm also has one plus a Northlight and telecines. You pay as low as 50-70 euros for a 122m roll of S16 in Russia, and that's for 2K 16 bit scan. HD telecine is 20 euros a roll, SD costs close to nothing.

Edited by Michael Rodin

• 2 weeks later...

There is some proper and affordable scanning done in Moscow - Cinelab Digital and Cinelex have Arriscans, Mosfilm also has one plus a Northlight and telecines. You pay as low as 50-70 euros for a 122m roll of S16 in Russia, and that's for 2K 16 bit scan. HD telecine is 20 euros a roll, SD costs close to nothing.

Great pricing, only if there won't be any import duty/tax from Russia to E.U.

• 2 months later...

I've gotten a really good offer from a lab in Italy (which I will not name because the offer was far from their standard scanning price), for an HD 24p Spirit transfer. I did have to wait a bit for the Spirit machine to be available when most other scanning jobs were finished. If you think 16mm for 45 euro is cheap, we'll let's just say this was even cheaper. Ridiculously cheap. I'm so fortunate that they were willing to hook me up like that. I had about 22 minutes of footage to transfer. The HDD should arrive any day now. Can't wait to see the materials. This is not the first lab that showed interest in "negotiations", but this one turned out to be really ready to help out a small production like mine was.

Hello Edgar,

I was not saying that 45 euro for minute is cheap but the opposite, in response to a previous post indicating the Filmlab.HU as cheap....and also you are speaking about HD telecine? The 2K scan is very different on price, I'm living in Italy and I'm sending material all over the EC as here in Italy I have not found any lab for developing and scanning 2K for a good price. Please PM me if you are not speaking about telecine HD... Thanks

Giorgio