Skypanel front diffusion safety

andrew ward

• Premium Member

It turns off. Usually.

I had some on demo recently and one of them was a prototype which didn't. Presumably the safety switches are actually installed on all the real ones.

They said that it wasn't dangerous as long as you didn't state into them, but I preferred caution. Those are some very, very, very intense points of light in there, and I would avoid looking at them for fear of eye damage.

P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Personally I prefer non-diffused LED panels. You can always diffuse them; you can't un-diffuse something that's already got basically 216 diff in front of it.

That said if you pull the diffuser on a SkyPanel, you'll just get lots of shadows. The emitters aren't in any sense directional.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns off. Usually.

I had some on demo recently and one of them was a prototype which didn't. Presumably the safety switches are actually installed on all the real ones.

They said that it wasn't dangerous as long as you didn't state into them, but I preferred caution. Those are some very, very, very intense points of light in there, and I would avoid looking at them for fear of eye damage.

Fired up one the other day, no diffusion. Very bright and harsh, no safety switch on the unit that I could find. Based on the cautions in the operating instructions, probably emits a lot of UV as well.

• Premium Member

Hmm. Arri told me they should all have the safety switches, so either you've got faulty ones (more probably) I've been lied to.

Certainly some of the ones I had on demo did have switches. I think it was the s30 that didn't. What were you using?

P

• 2 weeks later...