Idi Amin Dada

Has anyone seen this hilarious documentary? Barbet Schroeder and Nestor Almendros followed this Ugandan dictator in the early 70s and came out with a most magnificent portrait of a head of state. I can't recomend this enough. The cinematography is all natural and looks great, btw. Makes you sad that documentaries are not being shot on film, anymore.

In the extras, Barbet Schroeder tells of how he and Nestor missed so many great shots because neither of them knew how to properly load the mags! :D I love it!

Another interesting thing is when Idi Amin viewed the doc he wanted 2 minutes edited otherwise he was going to execute all french citizens in Uganda. He even went as far as rounding them all up in a hotel! A stunning man.

• Premium Member

This is easily one of my favorite docs of all time. I have not seen it on DVD though. Practically every scene is jaw dropping. One constantly asks oneself,"Is this for real?" Amin is not unlike many horrible men of the past (or future) he just happened to be captured by the camera. I haven't seen it in years but there are images that still haunt me. Like when he is forced to meet with the top Ugandan doctors as they complain about their working conditions and the condition of the national health care system (which is a disaster). There is a tight CU of his sweaty mad face that I will never shake.

Words cannot describe it. Everyone must see this thing.

FB

This is easily one of my favorite docs of all time. I have not seen it on DVD though. Practically every scene is jaw dropping. One constantly asks oneself,"Is this for real?" Amin is not unlike many horrible men of the past (or future) he just happened to be captured by the camera. I haven't seen it in years but there are images that still haunt me. Like when he is forced to meet with the top Ugandan doctors as they complain about their working conditions and the condition of the national health care system (which is a disaster). There is a tight CU of his sweaty mad face that I will never shake.

Words cannot describe it. Everyone must see this thing.

FB

Frank, check out the DVD. It's put out by Criterion so the image is absolutely flawless and vibrant. They shot on reversal.

I have seen the Criterion discs. Definitely a film worth several looks. Some of the scenes are a tad difficult to understand because of the "cinema verite/observational filmmaking" commitment to no voiceover or other techniques used to clarify narrative ("only life caught unawares").

There's sure to be lots of documentary theory related discussion on this film.

Just added it to my NetFlix .

Sounds interesting.

Those guys have guts.

They're lucky they didn't get eaten for pissing him off.

He was known for eating his enemies, and serving "longpig" as he called it, to unsuspecting guests.

He had a special room, with a big concrete trough for the blood to run out of, that he would invite people to, so they could watch people get sledge-hammered to death by his guards for entertainment.

Terrific guy, and the amazing thing is, he's lived until 2003, having never paid for his crimes.

MP