Kodak to Offer Film/Processing/Scanning Package for S8

Karl Lee

This might be old news, but while I was checking out the S8 section of Kodak's website and reading about their new S8 camera, I noticed that they plan to start offering an all-in-one film/processing/scanning package for S8, presumably to coincide with the release of their new S8 camera. From the website...

Easier than Ever

Shooting Analogue has never been so easy. When you purchase film you will be buying the film, processing and digital transfer. The lab will send you your developed film back and email you a password to retrieve your digital scans from the cloud so you can edit and share in any way you choose.

There's no pricing information yet, but it will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out. Kodak seems to be marketing the new S8 camera under their consumer division, so I'm curious if these will actually be decent quality scans/transfers, or transfers that might be impressive enough for the average consumer but not so much to someone with a more discriminating eye for film transfers. Hopefully the former will be the case. Also, I'm curious if Kodak is establishing their own facility to handle the processing and transfers, or if this is something that will be outsourced. I've read that Kodak will be opening a new film lab in NYC sometime later this year, so perhaps these services will coincide with the opening of their new lab.

I've been shooting 16mm for the last couple of years since I bought my SR3, but I shot tons of S8 before I stepped up to 16mm. This might be an excuse to pull the old 7008PRO out of retirement and try shooting some S8 again!

I first shot Super 8 Kodachrome back in the early '90s. It's amazing stuff. I haven't shot any in a long, long time, but I definitely want to shoot it again.

As for pricing, we know that the retail price for a 50' cartridge is about US$35. Add developing and scanning and postage, and what would the price be? Ideally, US$50. But it might be more.

One thing that we don't have in Super 8 is a camera with lenses that have OIS. I hope Kodak's camera supports that.

• 2 weeks later...

I first shot Super 8 Kodachrome back in the early '90s. It's amazing stuff. I haven't shot any in a long, long time, but I definitely want to shoot it again.

As for pricing, we know that the retail price for a 50' cartridge is about US$35. Add developing and scanning and postage, and what would the price be? Ideally, US$50. But it might be more.

One thing that we don't have in Super 8 is a camera with lenses that have OIS. I hope Kodak's camera supports that.

Kodak is selling it for $26 per roll. At least that's been the base price for stock over the last year, No one knows what the packages will cost yet. There may even be a new 50ASA reversal film for all we know.