How can I hide these light stands in a window?

Hi everyone,

I am shooting a music video this weekend inside a church with big windows on both sides. Taking place at night.

On one side of the church, I want to blast some 2Ks through the windows at an angle to create shafts of moonlight. The interior of the church will remain dimly lit with just some candles and maybe some simple fill for his close ups, but we want high contrast for silhouettes etc. We've got a hazer ready to go for the shafts of light.

But I can't figure out how to hide these combo stands that the lamps are on. We want them to all be placed directly in the middle of each window. The windows are tall and wide, so you can see out of them easily. If we blast the light in at a downward angle, do you think it will be so bright that the stand won't be visible at all? Any tips or tricks?? I've read some people talking about using mirrors to reflect the light, but we won't have access to this.

What David said .. or goal posts ... I assume you don't have money for lifts... You mentioned shafts of light. Are you using a hazer or smoke machine? The shafts of light may help obscure the windows a bit.

I just did a night shoot where we had lights on stands in the shot 100 to 125 feet away from the action and the low depth of field kept the stands out of focus enough it didn't matter. Just saying.

And just asking, how big is this church? Are 2k's bright enough?

Best

Tim

Hide wide (tall) is the shot in the direction of the stand(s)? Maybe hide the portion of the base and riser visible above the pews with a religious banner or tapestry. This problem might be easily solved by consulting with your set dressing people.

Edited by JD Hartman