Soft Camera Case for XL2

Skip Hobbie

I am looking to buy a soft camera case for my XL2. In the past I have used a large pelican case to house my camera and other equipment. Recently I have been doing more documentary and wildlife filmmaking, so I am looking into a soft case more geared towards travel and working outdoors. Any recommendations?

The LowePro bags come highly recommended, but I don't know which model would fit an XL2 well, and don't believe I have a retailer nearby to try one out. What are other folks using?

Thanks,

Skip

• Premium Member
I am looking to buy a soft camera case for my XL2.  In the past I have used a large pelican case to house my camera and other equipment.  Recently I have been doing more documentary and wildlife filmmaking, so I am looking into a soft case more geared towards travel and working outdoors.  Any recommendations?

The LowePro bags come highly recommended, but I don't know which model would fit an XL2 well, and don't believe I have a retailer nearby to try one out.  What are other folks using?

Thanks,

Skip

I have the Porta-Brace CTC-2. It's perfect for that camera.

• Premium Member
I am looking to buy a soft camera case for my XL2.  In the past I have used a large pelican case to house my camera and other equipment.  Recently I have been doing more documentary and wildlife filmmaking, so I am looking into a soft case more geared towards travel and working outdoors.  Any recommendations?

The LowePro bags come highly recommended, but I don't know which model would fit an XL2 well, and don't believe I have a retailer nearby to try one out.  What are other folks using?

Thanks,

Skip

I too have the Porta Brace CTC-2 case. It has more pockets than the Kata case. I would recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...
Porta Brace makes a backpack model too. Granted it's rather large but here's their website:

Porta Brace

I'm pretty happy with the Tamrac soft case made for the XL1. I can drop my XL2 straight into the bag with everything attached, even the accessory bracket. I can do this while the bag is on my shoulder, so I don't have to put the bag down to get scuffed or dirty. This is great for run-and-gun stuff.

It has plenty of room for all of my crazy accessories and it was less than $200. It's not as protective as a hard case, but I treat my stuff well and I don't need to throw it around.

One other plus is it is small enough to serve as a "carry on" for the airlines. Now you can keep a real eye on your stuff!

However, it's not a backpack style, but I usually have a backpack for other stuff already.

I am not 100% certain that the XL2 will fit but I would check out the Lowepro Lens trekker backpack... designed for big telephotos and is a single chamber backpack. I use one for my XL1s with the Shoulder mount attached. Great back support system and is cheaper than Portabrace, I do wildlife and Documentary in Mozambique and it takes all the beatings.

J

• 3 weeks later...