Why does my film suck?

Ted Keaton III

Well, there's two noticeable issues considering your questions Paul.

I don't really have a story. Color isn't good.

First attempt at Super 8 with negative, b/w, and reversal. Reversal roll appeared oversaturated and color was rather baked-in (hobbiest, so apologize in that I might not know the correct lingo or terminology). What I am trying to say is reversal didn't seem to have any leverage to work with and black and white was just as difficult. Negative was fresh stock from BHPhoto and responded better. Not familiar with coloring in Resolve, I imagine that would have helped. Regardless, something is terribly missing.

• Premium Member

the black levels seem to be quite high, just correcting that will make it look "better" (unless you are after a washed up low-con look)

you can use the Luma Curve if simple gamma/gain adjustment is not enough. the basic "shadows up mids up blacks down highs down" would help I think

• Premium Member

I kind of liked some of the washed-out look and missed exposures, felt like an old memory. If this were a flashback in a movie, it would have been cool so it's all about context.

Super-8 reversal is a great tool to learn about exposure, though for tests, I'd just project the original to evaluate, not spend the extra money on a video transfer.

I take it back. I didn't see it full frame, but windowed, and that contorted the image.

Thanks for taking the time to view. Ironic, running digital footage through a Super 8 template is what actually caused me to explore the idea of shooting real Super 8 film. However, I didn't realize just how challenging and how much fun it would be. It's peculiar in how when I shoot something, I have no way to go back and check the shot :) The anticipation, the waiting, the learning process, I see why the forum is so popular.

Super 8 can be great fun to shoot, esp since you ARE shooting film. The big issue is shooting, improving (getting input), especially all the criticisms, learning what they are and then putting them into practice. I would study how film reacts to exposure, examine composition, framing, etc.....i would also really research how other Directors and Cinematographer shoot their movies...i have won two awards and have been selected as an Official Selection at the LA Shorts Film FFest....never stop shooting and leArning.....

Regarding the look, time out properly most of the shots so there is a baseline. Use resolve, get the dynamic range into range - expand it up to 100 and down to 0 ire etc. then those washed out shots will show as 'intentional'. Too many pans - pans are actually really hard to get into a film. usually you need to following something, or you need it really slow as an opening or reveal shot. Or really fast as an a way to move between shots. Best to just get rid of as many as you can - and do not put pans back to back. Do those two things and the film will be better.