That 90's Music Video Look

Hey all, I'm DPing a music video in Jamaica in 2 weeks and looking for advice on achieving a 90's MTV texture with the help of filters or other optical techniques. I'm also curious how to achieve the look/texture of a Panasonic DVX100 with a Blackmagic URSA Mini (either in photography or in post).

I have some pretty soft Nikon Ai's that I'm planning on using for the 2-day shoot, probably a 20mm for a large majority of the setups. Are there any filters that you would recommend to help aid the soft 90's look?

Also, anyone have any advice for shooting in Jamaica? :)

thanks!

post-58985-0-58202800-1479607897_thumb.jpg

post-58985-0-53047800-1479607912_thumb.jpg

post-58985-0-08426500-1479608220_thumb.jpg

The variety of your references makes it hard to pin point what your looking for.

Large budget music videos in the 90s were almost all shot on 35mm. I'm not sure when the CineAlta (f900) and Varicam were first released but when that happened some videos shot on those cameras - Either way the final output was Standard Def - which has such little resolution it can indeed be hard to tell the difference between an Varicam and 35mm.

A lot of the look is just the period - the wardrobe - the use of wide lenses.

If you want a strong effect you could try shooting on a higher end camera and Dubbing down to something like VHS or HI8 - this has a pretty unique look that can be equated to a standard def telecine of 35mm film.